Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

Share |

Therma-Tru Smooth Star Door Question

Smooth Star fiberglass door with a small pane of glass at the top. Started painting it yesterday in preparation for an installation next week.

The door is double bored for a deadbolt and keyed knob. I noticed on the 2 1/4" H x 1"W x 1/8" deep areas where the 1" edge (or cross) bore is that there were 2 wood plugs in the wood in this 2 1/4" x 1" lock area. Each wood plug is ~1/2" in diameter. Looking at the door standing vertical, the plugs would be above and below the cross bore. The one above it is at 1:00 - 2:00, and the one below it is at 4:00 to 5:00, so they are both toward the front (external) side of the door. These plugs were there for each of the deadbolt and keyed know cutout, so 4 plugs total

I'm not sure why these wood plugs are there. Is it normal to have these plugs there? Do they in any way compromise the integrity of the door when it comes to the strength of that area, etc.?

Also, since this was a replacement door for the original which came with some of the fiberglass coating messed up, the glass from the original one was removed and installed in this slab. While it is insulated glass, I was surprised that there was no insulation under the PVC perimeter frame that holds this glass in place. I would think that air would easily get in under this frame and thus into the house around the perimeter of the glass.

Is this the way it is supposed to be?

thanks

Last edited by jdjd; 10-31-2013 at 07:46 AM.
jdjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #2

I've never notice any plugs like that but I'll make a guess.
Plugs to cover up where the foam inside the door was injected.
Tried contacting the manufacture and asking them?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

I did call Therma-Tru.

I got an answer for the glass and possible air or water seepage around it. They explained how it is made/set in the opening. Issue closed.

For the plugs, they said they would not do that, so it had to be the assembler. Having had some experience with the assembler where they told me something else could not be done, when it could and was done, I prefer to also get independent input.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the plugs regarding the integrity of this lock area?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Home Performance

Not sure on the plugs. On the glass frame, yes that is normal. There should be a seal on there that though to mitigate air leakage. Some use foam, some use a sticky butyl type.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #5

A rep from the door assembler came out and saw what I was referencing. Turns out he still had my old door which had problems with the fiberglass finish. This door also had what I thought was plugs.

Turns out these are marks somehow made by a router when cutting out the 2 1/4" x 1? x 1/8" area with rounded corners for the plate.

Issue closed.