Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

There is not a big enough gap between the bottom of the exterior door and threshold

Hi, I have an issue that I am having trouble figuring out. I have an old door that is 31 1/2 inches wide. I canít figure out who made it. I want to weatherstrip the bottom of the door but the threshold is too high and it is not adjustable, rather I cannot raise it or lower it. The threshold and the sill is one aluminum piece. I canít insert weather stripping inside the bottom of the door because half the door (facing the outside) has a metal barrier (and correct me if I am wrong but it seems that these types of weatherstrip are proprietary to the maker of the door). I tried to add a multi-finned vinyl door bottom and a Pile and Vinyl door bottom. There is not a big enough gap between the door and the threshold to attach either of them and have the door shut properly. I thought about raising the door but the hinges are inset within the door frame and there is the issue that I would have to re-drill holes that would be too close to the original holes. So I thought of replacing the threshold.

My first question: Does the threshold/sill come in a standard size (width, height, length)? I wanted to know before I tear it out and find out I canít replace it.

My second question: Is the former question a good solution or does anyone have a better idea?

Please see attached pictures.
Attached Images

mguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 16

There is not a big enough gap between the bottom of the exterior door and threshold

The threshold is built into the frame and attached from underneath--

They can be replaced but it's not an easy task.

Often the best solution is to cut off the bottom of the door and add an aluminum door bottom with a rubber sweep---

Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 20

Hard to tell from those pictures but that use looks like an adjustable sill to me.
Sure there's no plastic plugs covering up the adjustment screws?
oh'mike (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #4

Thanks for your response everyone.

So I looked jocaption and and there are no plastic plugs covering up the adjustment screws. When facing the inside side of the threshold you can see screws. I removed those screws. The brown top piece of the threshold can be opened from one side (it does not come completely off). I was hoping to find some kind of adjustment device inside the threshold but there is none. Also when you look at the threshold/sill it is one solid aluminum piece that is firmly planted on the floor. I do not see how it could go up or down.

oh'mike do you still think I should cut off the bottom of the door? If so, any suggestions as how to do this? The door appears to be metal.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

why not a seal that butts up to the inside face of the threshold. rather than try to make one that sets on top of the threshold .
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the response fix'n it. The seals that I found that butts up to the side of the door have a small lip that goes under the door. I don't have room to put anything under the door. It's a close fit (door to threshold).

Do you know of any good seals that butts up to the side of the door and in no way goes under the door.

If not, what do you think about cutting the bottom of the door. Or do you have any better ideas?
Old 09-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 16

Find the aluminum door bottom before you cut---that might be a search---

I've cut those with a circular saw using a carbide wood blade---wear eye protection--
Old 09-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

after i logged off, i realized that my idea would not be water proof. if that matters. my brain was thinking along the lines of air sealing.

if all you need is air sealing. get a piece of flat something = wood, metal, pvc. oh, say 2". cut it the length of the door bottom. screw it to the door so it is just off the floor. measure the gap from the whatever to the threshold face. get whatever weatherstripping that will fill the gap.

this way, when the door is closed, the weatherstrip will butt up to the threshold and make the seal.

does that make sense ?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

Fix'n it, I would like it to function like an exterior front door should i.e. weather proof and energy efficient.

Here's the thing, I could just replace the door (which we will do at some point) but I'm trying to deal with what we have. I just need to seal up the door.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

yeah. my idea was for air sealing. perhaps you could do that, and put some kind of awning at the bottom of the door. like a piece of z molding. that would stop most all of the rain. this would get you by until you replace the door.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #11

So I ended up using a circular saw to cut the bottom of the door with a blade meant for cutting steal (lots of sparks, make sure you are some place where a fire won't start kids). After I did this about an inch of metal parts inside the bottom of the door came out (looks like it was used to hold the old weatherstrip). I filled the bottom of the door with a piece of R10 FOAMULAR 250 Rigid Foam Insulation. I liquid nailed it in and let it set. Then I put the door back on the hinges, applied caulk to the bottom weatherstrip and screwed it into the bottom of the door. Win, we are good to go.

The only problem I had was that when I used the circular saw it scratched the door on both sides when it went across. No big deal on this project since we plan to replace the door at some point. However, I have to do this to another door.

Any ideas as to how I can keep the circular saw from scratching the door surface??? Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #12

Use some wide painters tape. Cut right thru the tape, after making your marks on the tape.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #13

Thanks RoyalAcresRod for your reply. It's actually the part of the circular saw that laid flat on the door (I believe they call that the shoe) that scratched the door. How do I avoid that next time? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #14

As I said, lay wide painters tape (the kind that will not pull paint off) on the door. Tape a wide enough area wherever your saw shoe will contact.

Make your marks on the tape where you'll cut with a straightedge. Cut right thru the tape.

Remove it when done cutting.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #15

Thanks RoyalAcresRod!!!