Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #1

Share |

Temporary Window / Door

I'm renting a condo where the master bedroom is a loft with a large opening overlooking the living room. The staircase up there also doesn't have a door. For noise reasons (my roommates stay up very late) I'd like to plug up the hole with something as sound-proof as possible, and get some kind of door in the stairs. I custom fit some pieces of insulation in the window and have a curtain in the stairs for heat purposes, and while they provide privacy, they block zero noise. Any option needs to be completely removable when I move out with no permanent damage. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

FireLlama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

Temporary Window / Door

Hmmmm, just thinking about foam insulation board. Easy to cut to any shape, super light weight, inexpensive. Sandwich as many pieces together as you want, that will stop the noise from the opening. Hell, you could also make a cheapo door type thing out of it. Just a thought.

Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

Temporary Window / Door

I was thinking that if I can't find enough rigid foam, I could glue 2 layers on either side of some plywood. That would probably help block more sound as well. The stairs are very skinny and right next to a hallway, so I was thinking of someway to make the door go... straight up. But it would be tough making something that wouldn't rub paint off the wall but still seal to block noise. Maybe foam is the right answer again...
Old 06-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #4

Temporary Window / Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireLlama77
I was thinking that if I can't find enough rigid foam, I could glue 2 layers on either side of some plywood. That would probably help block more sound as well. The stairs are very skinny and right next to a hallway, so I was thinking of someway to make the door go... straight up. But it would be tough making something that wouldn't rub paint off the wall but still seal to block noise. Maybe foam is the right answer again...
Go to lowes or home depot, they have stacks of 4x8 sheets of foam board. Hell, glue six of them together.
Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
DIY staff

Temporary Window / Door

Post a picture---Building a removable partition with a door is not such a difficult job---but to get decent suggestions we need to see the area.---Mike---
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #6

Temporary Window / Door

The window is approximately 10' x 2.5' and the stairway is 2.5' wide and about 8' high. Here are some pictures: