Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Taking out a window

I am going to be replacing some old single pane aluminum insert windows with new replacement sash kit. Why am I just doing the sashes? The original wood window frames are still in good condition other than needing a good scrape and paint job. The alum. inserts are crappy and loose and I have never liked the looks of them. Installing the new sashes and jambliners shouldn't be a problem. I cannot figure out how the old windows are installed. I can't find any markings anywhere indicating what brand and I don't see any screws in the sides or top.

Taking out a window-image-1417168074.jpg

Taking out a window-image-3868555616.jpg

I am thinking it is attached just by silicone maybe and I can pull it out once I have the stops out? And from everything that I can tell it IS an insert and is not nailed to the outside of the house by a flange. Hopefully someone will have an idea. If not, I will just have to push, pull, and yank until it comes out Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Taking out a window-image-2630459704.jpg  

Centex2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 524

Taking out a window

Very difficult to tell by the pics, but 9 out of 10 aluminum windows that i see have a nailing flange. Generally not the easiest extractions, so be prepared. The one thing that I can say nearly for certain is that they are NOT simply held in by silicone. If you are lucky and there is no flange, there would still be fasteners in the jambs.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,070

Taking out a window

Sometimes it's just staples holding it in.
Sort of looks like one in one of the pictures.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 268

Taking out a window

If you can not find any fasteners in the aluminum jamb, it is possible that they just replaced the original wood windows with the aluminum inserts and the only thing holding them in is the caulk and the wood stops(trim) that you show in your pictures on the inside. In one pic it even looks like it has been removed before?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,502

Taking out a window

Looks like they could be inserts by the aftermarket looking stops.

Any pictures of the exterior?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #6

Taking out a window

Sorry it has taken s couple days to respond. We had my mother-in-law in town and wasn't able to do much.

Wrangler, that is what it seems like to me. I went outside to see if there was anything visible that I missed the first few times I inspected the windows and there is nothing. The only thing I see holding the window in place is the ext. stop trim (red line in photo) and a filler piece (green line in photo) that they used to fill in the space where the original wood window track was (I'm basing that on how the few original windows left look).

Taking out a window-image-3933486379.jpg

And the interior trim stop had been removed previously... by me. I had to remove them to get an accurate measurement for my replacements.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

Taking out a window

Well, we replaced the window this weekend and the old window came out fairly easy. There were no screws, clips, or anything else holding it in but caulk and the trim. We took the interior stops off, cut the caulk and paint from around the outside of the window and pushed from the outside and out it came. The only thing we had to do was shimmy it a little to get past some old caulk between the top of the insert and the frame. I was expecting it to be a pain to get out and take us a while, but it went pretty quick. Three more to go for that room plus 21 others. Woohoo
Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Home Performance

Taking out a window

Well, it worked out well for you as far as getting them out... Still blows my mind how poorly some folks installed them in the first place. Truly a "caulk and walk".
Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Taking out a window

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Well, it worked out well for you as far as getting them out... Still blows my mind how poorly some folks installed them in the first place. Truly a "caulk and walk".
If a little caulk is good...isn't more better...?

Glad it worked out for you Centex.

Post up some before and after pictures!!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Taking out a window

it helps to back caulk the stops when re installing them. that means, run a bead of caulk to the back edge of the stop before placing against new window insert. you should see it smoosh out a little toward the interior of the stop and insert, just pull that smooshed amount with your finger and let it cure for a few days and then come back and caulk the stop to the the insert like normal before painting. that is a way to get a better seal around the edges of the windows. use a quality caulk, to many times I've re worked pieces and parts on houses where cheap caulk was used and it was either as hard as concrete with zero flex or it was crumbling off of the walls, so a good quality caulk is well worth the extra money.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
Centex2011 (03-26-2013), Windows on Wash (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #11

Taking out a window

Thanks hand drive. I will keep that in mind when I am buttoning everything up.

I don't really have before and after, but I will take a side-by-side shot this evening- new next to old yet to be removed. I installed just one before I spent a lot of money on something that wouldn't work... always hesitant when spending a big chunk of change
Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

Taking out a window

Here is a photo of the new window. I have painted the windows, I just need to paint the trim (interior and exterior) so please ignore the poor condition of the paint. It will be remedied shortly.

Taking out a window-image-89166852.jpg

This is a pic of another set of windows that looks just like a before shot of the window I replaced. I personally believe the new windows, once in, will change the look of the house, despite the fact that the whole house needs a new paint job, and ultimately new siding

Taking out a window-image-537679063.jpg
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Exterior Construction

Taking out a window

Looking good.

Keep up the good work!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Home Performance