Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #1

Share |

Taking Clad Double Hung apart to create smaller fixed windows

This is my first visit/post here, so I may not be starting out correctly.

I've got a metal barn behind my house that i'm converting into heated space. I've been visiting salvage houses for materials and i'm getting near the window stage at this point. I've found some bronze, aluminum clad, double hung windows that will be perfect for certain areas. I've been hoping to find a couple of large, fixed, horizontal windows for a specific area in the front of the barn. I haven't had any luck so far, nor do I think I will. Here's what I would like to do, but I'm not sure it's possible.

There are plenty of matching double and single hung windows that complement the others that I have purchased already. Can I take either a double or single hung and remove the framing completely to have two, separate insulated glass, divided light, fixed windows...from each previous set? My thought is that I would buy three matching double or single hungs and end up with 6 matching, smaller fixed windows. I could then frame those in as two sets of three windows each, with some simple framing between each window.

My concern is, how challenging is it to disassemble an aluminum clad window to end up with the two, smaller pieces.

Thanks for your help!

KJinCton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #2

Well, not knowing the exact windows you're talking about -
Take apart aluminum-clad windows and use them as single units?!?
No fun at all!
Good luck!!!

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

And going to be sure way to have leaks.