Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Switch Lever from one Side of Door to the Other

Just installed Schlage F51 flair lever style door handle to interior door to garage. As you can see in picture the lever is upside down. Set comes with a tool - also in pic - which is used to remove just the lever so they can be switched from one side to the other side of the door so then the levers would be right side up. Removed one handle without a problem. Other handle refuses to budge. The tool included is a pin about 3 inches long with a loop on one end. Insert the pin in the hole, depress the "thingy" and the handle slides off. No matter how hard I push on the other side the handle will not budge. I don't feel like the "thingy" is being depressed at all. Very frustrating. Hardware store closes early on Sundays so couldn't take it back to exchange it. Called the help line but they don't work on Sundays. Went to the Schlage web site but every time I click on something it takes me to a page with an error message. Fortunately the door levers open the door but it doesn't feel right. Any ideas? Suppose I'll take it back next weekend if I can't fix it. What a pain!

Last edited by joek201; 03-25-2012 at 05:52 PM.
joek201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

It looks to me by your pic that you have the wrong lock set. If you flip that handle the way it is now it will extend passed the door?
If you really want to do that,take the 2 screws that hold the handle together out flip the handle and put it back together.

sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
It looks to me by your pic that you have the wrong lock set. If you flip that handle the way it is now it will extend passed the door?
If you really want to do that,take the 2 screws that hold the handle together out flip the handle and put it back together.
Thanks Sublime. I figured this out finally and was about to edit the post when I saw your reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear but I wanted to flip the handles from one side of the door to the other so the flair is pointing down. But I couldn't get the handle off the side with the lock mechanism. After looking at a PDF of directions with actual words on them from another site did I realize I had to use the key in the lock in order to remove the handle. Which makes sense if you think about it otherwise a robber could potentially take the thing apart and get inside.

Last edited by joek201; 03-25-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: correct misspelled word
joek201 is offline   Reply With Quote