Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Share |

Storm leaks from driving rain

We had real heavy driving rain today and it appears a decent amour of water got inside a second floor window and some water got on the floor. These are older aluminum storms that appears the corners have slight gaps. Any recommended way to fix this besides replacing the storm window? I have a two story house that has no soffit so rain can run down the house if it pours hard enough.

bryanp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #2

I would be surprised if it's the storm windows and not improper flashing around the window.

ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ParagonEx For This Useful Post:
Live_Oak (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #3

The window stop at the top that touches the storm was where the water seemed to come in. Should I check caulk around drip cap to storm window?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If you are talking about the storm from today, there is nothing that would have stopped that rain from finding its way in. It was so bad, that it actually Sand Blasted paint off of buildings in downtown Chicago, due to how powerful it was being blown against structures.

Really your best thing is to get all of that water shop vac'd up, then contact your Home Owner Insurance company to see what kind of bite you will take from having to replace the windows, due to the damage caused by today's storm.

Tell them that it was caused by the storm damage, do not tell them that it was caused by old faulty windows. They will figure out when the adjuster shows to look over the house, if the windows are at fault, or poor construction methods, when the home was built. Then they will tell you how much your contractor that either they will hire for you, or you hire will be paid, to fix the bad windows, and any structural damage from the storms today.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
If you are talking about the storm from today, there is nothing that would have stopped that rain from finding its way in. It was so bad, that it actually Sand Blasted paint off of buildings in downtown Chicago, due to how powerful it was being blown against structures. Really your best thing is to get all of that water shop vac'd up, then contact your Home Owner Insurance company to see what kind of bite you will take from having to replace the windows, due to the damage caused by today's storm. Tell them that it was caused by the storm damage, do not tell them that it was caused by old faulty windows. They will figure out when the adjuster shows to look over the house, if the windows are at fault, or poor construction methods, when the home was built. Then they will tell you how much your contractor that either they will hire for you, or you hire will be paid, to fix the bad windows, and any structural damage from the storms today.
Rain didn't come in my windows and I didn't receive any calls from customers so thats not accurate. We didn't get it as bad as IL.

Look around the windows and see if you can find any holes where water could penetrate.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagonEx View Post
Rain didn't come in my windows and I didn't receive any calls from customers so thats not accurate. We didn't get it as bad as IL.

Look around the windows and see if you can find any holes where water could penetrate.
I was just going by the info coming across from WGN, etc. yesterday. So do not shoot the messenger.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
contact your Home Owner Insurance company to see what kind of bite you will take from having to replace the windows, due to the damage caused by today's storm.

Tell them that it was caused by the storm damage, do not tell them that it was caused by old faulty windows. They will figure out when the adjuster shows to look over the house, if the windows are at fault, or poor construction methods, when the home was built. Then they will tell you how much your contractor that either they will hire for you, or you hire will be paid, to fix the bad windows, and any structural damage from the storms today.
That's great advice. Actions like this contribute to rising premiums. Is it worth it to get an insurance company involved for one window?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #8

I am only into ethical submissions to instance. I am hoping an insurance adjuster would turn down claims for old windows like mine but I guess you never know. I'll take some pictures tonight but it looks like I probably need to recaulk the window flashing for one, but also on my old triple track storms I can see daylight through the window frame. I checked the other windows and they all seem fine but in this case maybe the storm window frame is just failing and falling apart. I don't see any adjusts or screws to righted it back together either.
The Following User Says Thank You to bryanp22 For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Home Performance

Have you ever seen evidence of leaking before? First thing to do would be to inspect the exterior, both of the window and above where water could have entered. Also, the drip cap/head flashing should not be caulked. If on the other hand some one capped over it at some point, it would indeed need caulk. A pic would be great.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #10

No evidence really from what I can tell. The outside window stop seems to need paint but most of my windows need glazing and paint. I was considering window replacement or fixing glazing next year.

I have aluminum siding on top of the wood so they had to put flashing around the windows to build them out in away so the edges of the siding was covered. I need to get up on a ladder in the day light to show the exact window having the issue but here is another that is flashes the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
Storm leaks from driving rain-image-1039032096.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Home Performance

The area that would be helpful to see is the detail at the top of the window..
Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

If they capped yours like they did our windows, the nails were not long enough to hold into the wood. After time, the wood dries out, and the nails come loose, then the flashing over it allows water to get back there.

I went through and re-nailed all of the flashing around our windows, then caulked them with a flexible clear silicone. I was lucky that when the lady that owned our place forever, who ever did the siding actually did that part correct, with J channels over windows & doors, and flashed around the windows over the old wood Brick molding.

If you do not check that stuff yearly, yes it will leak with driving rain, and there really is nothing you can do, once it starts getting back behind the siding. I know a certain one on this thread has stated to not approach your Insurance company, but if you find after cutting a small section of the wall inside out, and there is a lot of mold back there from long term water leakage, call them.

It is better to hear the bad news from them, then you go out on your own and having to find money out of your own pocket to pay for the repairs and replacement of all the windows, along with any damage around them, then work with your insurance company on repairs.

I would have used our's for replacing our roof, when it leaked in 2007, but when we found that it was only $3400 to replace, we figured that it was not worth paying the $1000.00 deductible, for that cheap of a job.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #13

Here is a picture of the window. I did just have my roof replaced about a month ago too. The roofing company is coming out this week to inspect the gutter and drip edge of the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Storm leaks from driving rain-image-3088154949.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Home Performance

With the amount of rain that we had the other day and the way that the roof/gutter interface is designed with no overhang, I'd be willing to bet that the gutters were simply overflowing and water got behind the flashing/siding. If you have never had this happen before and there is no evidence of leakage, I'd be inclined to just keep an eye on it. A proper head flashing should have prevented that, but I don't know if you want to tear everything apart to fix what was probably a freak-occurrence, particularly if you are considering replacing the windows in the future anyway. I would definitely make sure to pay special attention to that area when that window is changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

I was going to go with replacement windows and potentially do the work myself. What would I need to look out for?