Steel Framed Basement Hopper Style Windows: Need Help Removing Frames... - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Steel framed basement hopper style windows: need help removing frames...

So I have several steel framed hopper style single pane windows that I'm wanting to replace before I start redoing my basement. Everywhere I've looked online says the proper way to do this job is to remove the steel frames so that's what I'm attempting to do. They said maybe 20 minutes per frame to remove. I've been working 2 hours on the first frame.

This is what I started with:

I've got the left side and half the bottom out, but the top is embedded into the concrete. I don't know how far in it goes. Anybody got any ideas on how to remove the top? Do I need to go rent a jack hammer?

Thanks for your input.

Advertisement

Skull Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Steel framed basement hopper style windows: need help removing frames...

They spanned the header with concrete so I can't just flush cut up through the ends unless there is a tool that cuts both steel and concrete.

I got the other side off. All the remains is the top. I think I'm going to stop here. Build it back up on the bottom and sides to the diminsions it would have been if I had not ripped it out and then just clean the rest up with a wire brush and some paint. I'll just take the sashes out and order windows that will fit in the openings of these steel frames.

There are six other windows. I'm not gonna wrestle with each one for 4 or 5 hours just to get 3 sides off and beat up the concrete around them.

Advertisement

Skull Leader is offline   Reply With Quote