Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Share |

Steel Entry Door Weatherstripping

I have an almost 40 year old steel front door. I have looked and can find no indication of who the manufacturer was. The original weatherstripping was a white, very large compression type that looked like the gasket around a refridgerator door. It fit into a slot in the door jam. It got pretty grungy so I pulled it out thinking I could go anywhere and get a replacement product. Wrong--The stuff you find in the home improvement stores is just too small and doesn't stick.

Does anyone on this forum know what the original product was and where I can buy it.

Thanks

felinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Steel Entry Door Weatherstripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinesmom View Post
I have an almost 40 year old steel front door. I have looked and can find no indication of who the manufacturer was. The original weatherstripping was a white, very large compression type that looked like the gasket around a refridgerator door. It fit into a slot in the door jam. It got pretty grungy so I pulled it out thinking I could go anywhere and get a replacement product. Wrong--The stuff you find in the home improvement stores is just too small and doesn't stick.

Does anyone on this forum know what the original product was and where I can buy it.

Thanks
Try a glazing supplier or a hardware store. I have found some weatherstripping profiles at the big box stores and what you are describing is not out of the ordinary.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, steel door, weatherstripping