Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Share |

Standard or custom width storm door?

I want to replace an old storm door. Unfortunately, the existing storm door is rather small --- between brickmold is 31.38". With the door model that I wanted to use, 32" is smallest standard door and I would have to remove about 3/8 of an in from one side, or 3/16" from both sides. The door frame rather looks like that would be possible. Its a 1960 house and I doubt the entrance door was pre-hung.
Should I simply order a smaller door (not sure what the upcharge would be) or by the 32" nominal door and plan on opening up the frame?

And any suggestions on how to open up the frame? I figured I would run my circular saw along the brickmold, but I bet getting a straight accurate cut is easier said than done.

Last edited by SPS-1; 06-16-2013 at 06:25 PM.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 108

Please post a picture.
May want to go on the web site of the company that makes the door and check out the install directions. Often time they will state the min. and max. size opening you can have.
Most storms have lots of adjustment.
What condition is the brick moulding in? Often times it's rotted at the bottom any way and could be replaced with new PVC trim installed to give you the needed room.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #3

See photos below. I would need to remove about 3/8" total. The brickmold all seems to be in good shape, even the bottom. I got the price on a custom width door. Its a big up-charge, so I guess the question now is what is the best way to remove material from the brickmold.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard or custom width storm door?-dimensions_s3.jpg   Standard or custom width storm door?-overview_s3.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 108

Did you go on the web site I suggested?
I'd bet a standard door will fit.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Just remove the Brickmold and put it where it belongs.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'd bet a standard door will fit.
You lose.

I might be able to find some off-the-shelf door that would fit, but not the one I was planning to use. I would need to open it up about 3/8".
Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Your rough opening may be only 31.38". What is the actual door size for the entrance door, not the storm door. It would be odd to have a 30" storm or entry for front entrance on a home, but that is probably what you are looking at.

Most big box places do not even stock 30" storms, you have to special order them from the manufacturer.

http://www.larsondoors.com/storm_doo...buy_measuring/
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

Remove the brickmold and rip it down, or keep it on and build it out. My first inclination would be to agree with joe that a standard door probably would indeed fit within that spec, but again, it would be pretty simple to modify the opening one way or another for the door to fit. No reason to modify the storm door OR order a custom size.