Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #1

Share |
Question

spacer b/ween entry door and opening

i have a slightly more than 1" total on both sides difference between my new entry door width and the brick opening. it is a replacement on an old house so it's not like i made a mistake. the brick opening has intermittent (i think 3 on each side) wooden blocks instead of bricks for door frame nailing convenience.

it is important for me to close the gap symmetrically because the door is already recessed in a slightly wider opening and the width difference between the recess and the door opening will be covered by the front trim -- if i closed the gap on only one side, it would look really awkward and lopsided (e.g. 2" on one and 3" on the other side).

so my idea is to putt some kind of spacer that is 0.5" thick. my main question is tthis:

does this spacer, which itself will not be exposed outside, need to be weather resistant?

it will be protected from the front by the door trim, some vinyl lumber or Azek or something like that. if it doesn't have to be weather resistant, i can rip some strips out of 0.5" plywood and close the gaps on both sides.

the problem is, Azek doesn't come in 0.5" thickness.

the door, BTW, is a ThermaThru, fiberglass and the jamb and everything else seems to be of some synthetic lumber material (vinyl?).

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
Mod

spacer b/ween entry door and opening

Yes, using plywood for what you want to do is fine. If this is on a slab just cut it a little short and hold it up so it doesn't touch the concrete.