Solar Sun Screen - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Solar Sun Screen

Has anyone used a solar sun screen to cut down the sun beaming down on the windows. I have a room with 5 old awning windows that face south (in Florida), the room is unusable during the summer without running A/C 24 hours a day.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-48...1117/100550251

Any thoughts on how to frame it out? I would like to be able to take it off every once in a while if I have to open the windows.

Advertisement

skymaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 606

Solar Sun Screen

I researched this problem a while back and concluded awning over-top is best. I see that stuff is available in silver or black. At least get the silver --- silver reflects. Black absorbs light/heat, so I have difficulty believing it does much. I put an awning over my west facing patio doors -- I can tell you that did work.

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 610

Solar Sun Screen

Look in your local newspaper or yellow pages under window tinting.
Posting a picture of your home may come up with some better ideas.
Google "3M window tinting film"
Old 03-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Solar Sun Screen

Awing, window tint, and blinds will all do the trick. Just depends on what final look you want to be stuck with.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 606

Solar Sun Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Awing, window tint, and blinds will all do the trick.
I disagree. Awnings are more effective because they (depending on layout) keep light from hitting the window in the first place. Dark tint not so good because light will be absorbed into the tint. Reflective tint better, but glass will still absorb some heat. Blinds/shutters on the outside will be very effective, but less effective on the inside.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Solar Sun Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I disagree. Awnings are more effective because they (depending on layout) keep light from hitting the window in the first place. Dark tint not so good because light will be absorbed into the tint. Reflective tint better, but glass will still absorb some heat. Blinds/shutters on the outside will be very effective, but less effective on the inside.
I disagree with your disagreement....

I didn't see where I said one was more effective than another.

I have long since held that buildings were built smarter 50 years ago (overhangs, passive solar, shading, etc.).

As far as tint goes, anything aimed at solar control will have the correct reflectivity built into it.

Blinds will still work as compared to just letting the heat in the home if they are specified correctly. Most are in the lighter color range and have little thermal mass. Diverting the radiant heat that level does help mitigate its effect.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

Solar Sun Screen

I use the silver solar sun screen, it helps me a lot and protects the furniture and other items in the room from fading.
Jonathon C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #8

Solar Sun Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon C. View Post
I use the silver solar sun screen, it helps me a lot and protects the furniture and other items in the room from fading.
Thanks for everyone that replied. I will use it on two windows first and see if it helps. If not, then I will look at awnings.

Advertisement

skymaga is offline   Reply With Quote