DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Windows and Doors (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/)
-   -   Solar Sun Screen (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/solar-sun-screen-197791/)

skymaga 03-14-2014 12:38 PM

Solar Sun Screen
 
Has anyone used a solar sun screen to cut down the sun beaming down on the windows. I have a room with 5 old awning windows that face south (in Florida), the room is unusable during the summer without running A/C 24 hours a day.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-48...1117/100550251

Any thoughts on how to frame it out? I would like to be able to take it off every once in a while if I have to open the windows.

SPS-1 03-14-2014 03:44 PM

I researched this problem a while back and concluded awning over-top is best. I see that stuff is available in silver or black. At least get the silver --- silver reflects. Black absorbs light/heat, so I have difficulty believing it does much. I put an awning over my west facing patio doors -- I can tell you that did work.

joecaption 03-14-2014 03:51 PM

Look in your local newspaper or yellow pages under window tinting.
Posting a picture of your home may come up with some better ideas.
Google "3M window tinting film"

Windows on Wash 03-15-2014 01:15 PM

Awing, window tint, and blinds will all do the trick. Just depends on what final look you want to be stuck with.

SPS-1 03-15-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1322345)
Awing, window tint, and blinds will all do the trick.

I disagree. Awnings are more effective because they (depending on layout) keep light from hitting the window in the first place. Dark tint not so good because light will be absorbed into the tint. Reflective tint better, but glass will still absorb some heat. Blinds/shutters on the outside will be very effective, but less effective on the inside.

Windows on Wash 03-15-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPS-1 (Post 1322365)
I disagree. Awnings are more effective because they (depending on layout) keep light from hitting the window in the first place. Dark tint not so good because light will be absorbed into the tint. Reflective tint better, but glass will still absorb some heat. Blinds/shutters on the outside will be very effective, but less effective on the inside.

I disagree with your disagreement....:laughing:

I didn't see where I said one was more effective than another.

I have long since held that buildings were built smarter 50 years ago (overhangs, passive solar, shading, etc.).

As far as tint goes, anything aimed at solar control will have the correct reflectivity built into it.

Blinds will still work as compared to just letting the heat in the home if they are specified correctly. Most are in the lighter color range and have little thermal mass. Diverting the radiant heat that level does help mitigate its effect.

Jonathon C. 03-21-2014 09:02 AM

I use the silver solar sun screen, it helps me a lot and protects the furniture and other items in the room from fading.

skymaga 03-21-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathon C. (Post 1325397)
I use the silver solar sun screen, it helps me a lot and protects the furniture and other items in the room from fading.

Thanks for everyone that replied. I will use it on two windows first and see if it helps. If not, then I will look at awnings.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved