Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Solar screens versus solar curtains?

It's hot here in Texas. I'm dying. I put up solar curtains around the house and it seemed to help bring the temp in our house by 2 degrees or so. We just had someone come out to give us an estimate on solar screens and they estimated $382 for 8 windows. Are the solar screens that much more effective than the light blocking, solar curtains (which cost me less than $100 for all of them)?

How much of a difference has screens made in your home? As of now, we've learned our a/c is too small for our home, so we're doing everything we can to not replace the a/c unless we have to. Thoughts?

heidabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,000

Why not solor flim instead?

How old are the windows, how much in the attic, and and how is your roof vented?
Yes there's a real reason I'm asking.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I've been told solar film isn't as efficient. We have the film on one window and it's cracking and chipping. Of course, the house was built in 2005 and I don't know how long the film has been there since we just bought last year. The windows to my knowledge have never been replaced.

We have 10 inches of insulation in the attic, we're looking to add more. We have passive vents in the attic. It was recommended to us to add a solar attic fan. We don't have the money to do all of them at once- so I've been researching all options.
heidabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

We use a combo of UV Film, Levelor blinds, and black out curtains. Before the film got put on the Windows, the south side & west side windows would be hot during the day, and the house would be warmer. Once we put up the film the house stayed cooler. Once we put up the black out curtains, the house stays cool enough, that it does not rise two degrees, until maybe around 1 in the afternoon.

We have the thermostat set for 68 at night, 71 when home 72 when away, due to the lower temps, but even when I had it set to 69 at night 72 while gone, the house still took from 8:15 until 1:30 or so, before it would even get to 72. We do not even have insulation in our walls, and only around 6" of blown in up in the attic.

I just got smart and went around and used DAP foam around the windows after I pulled off the trims, sealed around outlet boxes in the outside walls, and also made sure the doors are air tight to not allow air through. All of that together has helped more in the past 6 months, than anything else. Along with the film & curtains, it should really stay nice even come this Winter.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote