Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Share |

Sliding Glass Door Sticking

Over the winter, my sliding glass door suddenly is sticking (or something) very badly. It is to the point that my wife is not even strong enough to slide it open or closed and I have to bear down to move it myself.

Thoughts on likely root cause and remedy?

ivanl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Experienced

The lintel the door frame is sitting on has expanded or heaved causing the door to bind top to bottom, you could try and see if there is any adjustment left in the guide rollers and see if you could adjust down, to ease up on the OA height of the door.

Mark

oh'mike (02-27-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #3

What he said, or.......the rollers are bound up or worn out. Replacing or cleaning them usually involves removing that door section. Usually not too difficult, but the door is heavy. How, depends on the manufacturer.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #4

I have the same problem with my slider in the winter. Especially on the coldest mornings.

I'm not saying this is what's wrong with your door, but mine does it because there is a buildup of ice under it, in the track.

I tried a few things to get rid of the ice, but what works is spraying de-icer on it. I was worried it would cause damage, but I've been doing it for 3 winters now and there hasn't been a problem.

The seal at the top of my door isn't sealing properly, so there is condensation at the top of the frame that drips down and gets in the track and freezes. Pella is replacing the door this spring.

Good luck with it.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #5

I need to replace the guide rollers on my door, but I can't figure out how to get the door off of the track. I saw that most people have enough clearance to simply lift door off track, but it seems like my door doesn't have enough clearance at the top to lift over the track.
Mojojojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #6

Make sure your rollers are fully retracted, this may give you more room.
spinfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojoe View Post
I need to replace the guide rollers on my door, but I can't figure out how to get the door off of the track. I saw that most people have enough clearance to simply lift door off track, but it seems like my door doesn't have enough clearance at the top to lift over the track.
What door manufacturer? As spinfisher said about the rollers or some companies (Andersen) have a cleat along the top. You unscrew the cleat and the door tips in for removal.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Experienced

If you have lifted the bottom guide rollers to their highest adjustment and you still don't have enough room to get the door out, there is a good chance this is why the rollers wore out in the first place.

If the above is true chances are the header over the door is sagging causing the openning to become smaller (vertically) putting pressure down on the door, wearing out the rollers rather quickly.

I know sounds bad, and for the most part it is, you can pry the door out, and replace the rollers then pry the door back in, but in a couple of years you will be doing it again.

You could replace the door with a standard door or french doors and while you have things apart strenghten the vertical support and or header, all of which is a huge pain in the rear end.

Mark
Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #9

I don't know where to find the brand... It's my first house. Built in 1957, but these doors are in the edition which is estimated at 15 years old. There is a quality control sticker that is worn on the left side of the inside track. What I can make out is architectural alluminum. Towards the end of the sticker is has code 66-1 stamped on it. Will I need to take off the screen and the middle stationary door? I see no other way that this sliding door can even make it over the track let alone the inside lip. There is two screws at the top of the door, one on each side and when I adjust the bottom roller screws I can drop the door completely so that it is sitting in the track and scraping.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
DIY staff

Post a picture of the top track and another of the bottom of the door,showing any adjustment holes.

Roller adjustment holes are in the inside of most doors and on the narrow end of others.

Most use an Allen wrench others use a Phillips screw driver.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Post a picture of the top track and another of the bottom of the door,showing any adjustment holes.

Roller adjustment holes are in the inside of most doors and on the narrow end of others.

Most use an Allen wrench others use a Phillips screw driver.

These are phillips head screws,
top left
bottom left
top right
bottom right.
Attached Thumbnails
Sliding Glass Door Sticking-p1000847.jpg   Sliding Glass Door Sticking-p1000848.jpg   Sliding Glass Door Sticking-p1000849.jpg   Sliding Glass Door Sticking-p1000850.jpg  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
DIY staff

Pry the door up a bit to take the weight off the rollers-----try to spray some W-D-40 up under the door to soak the roller mechanism..

See if you can get the bottom adjustment screw to turn---lower the wheels and lift the door off the track.

That's an old door---the adjustment mechanism might be frozen.

I suspect you have a broken or stuck roller --it looks like the track is worn in one of the pictures.

If so plan on replacing the bad wheel.
Mojojojoe (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #13

Alright thanks... Counter clockwise should lower correct? Also, do I need to take it off towards the outside? If so will I have to take the other two doors off, or should the door pry over the lip on the inside. It looks pretty much impossible to lift to the inside the lip is easily 1/2 inch taller than the track. The top screws are just to hold the window in place right?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
DIY staff

You are going to have to figure this one out ---that's an old door---it might even have top rollers that can be lowered---typically the bottom is pulled into the room.

Usually there is an adjustment for each wheel also---

are you sure that there are not two holes on the bottom face of the door?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #15
DIY staff

Mojo---I just noticed you are from around here--Welcome---I"m over near the Fox river--Mike--