Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #1

Share |

Sliding glass door gets stuck

I'm not sure how old it is but I am guessing it was put in with the house in the late 80s. The screen door always comes off the track and the sliding glass door sticks. I would love to replace it but we are going to sell in the near future so I just want to fix it. The sliding screen door is easy to fix when it gets out of the track. The glass door is my problem.

It is definitely scraping on top. I can see metal flakes falling when I open and close it. This doesn't make much sense but I also think it is scraping on the bottom. I tried to lower and raise the wheels but it didn't do anything. I then tried to lift the door and kick the bottom out but there is absolutely no room to remove it. It is almost like they built the frame around the door then installed it. It doesn't go up at all.

Do some doors not remove? Am I doing something wrong?

Here you can see there is barely 1/4 inch from the door to the track. There is also a screw snug up against the track.

Here is the bottom track. It is hard to tell but even if I was able to lift the door at all, it wouldn't get over the threshold.

Last edited by h22lude; 05-12-2014 at 05:16 PM.
h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

Remove the screen, back off the roller tension screws lift upon the bottom and tilt out.
It may take two people, one to lift and tilt and one to pry upon the rollers with a flat screw driver.
Once out check the rollers for tension and to see if they even roll anymore.
Clean out the track and check with a long level to see if it's still flat.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Are you saying pull out towards the outside? How does that work? The glass non sliding part is in the way. I wouldn't be able to kick the entire bottom out since part of the sliding door is against the non sliding part.

I can't lift the door up. It doesn't go anywhere. What does that screw on the top do? If I remove that I may be able to lift up enough. I didn't want to remove it just in case it didn't something important.

Edit: Just read a comment on a Youtube video that said pre 1990 doors sometimes the non sliding part needs to be removed before the sliding door can come out.

Last edited by h22lude; 05-12-2014 at 07:33 PM.
h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote