Skylight Sizing - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Skylight sizing

Hi,

I will be getting a new roof and also looking into getting new skylights in the process. The skylights I want to change have an outter curb dimension of 39" x 39". They are acrylic dome (non operable) and I want to swap them out for glass operable ones.

I am looking into getting the solar skylights by Velux, so that I can get the tax credit, however they do not make them in 39 x39. I was only able to see 37.5 x37.5. According to the dealer I spoke to they do not make custom sized glass operable skylights.

question is how would I get this smaller skylight to fit onto the exising curb? is it possible or should I not even bother. since I am replacing the roof anyway would it be ideal to replace the existing curb with a smaller one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement

menacersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

Skylight sizing

If I was going to do it I would want to change out the whole thing, curb and all.
Almost every time I've had to work around those cheap plastic domes they have been leaking and there's sheathing damage at least.
Does this happen to be on a mobile home? The reason I ask is I often see those type sky lights used on them.
If so some other things to look for and may need addressing is thin sheathing and just craft paper used instead of tar paper, no drip edging.

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

Skylight sizing

The skylight that I am looking to get says that it has a "Max skylight clearance" of 38 9/16 x 38 9/16. what does this mean in regards to my existing outter curb of 39" x 39"?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Skylight sizing

is making a new curb a big deal for the roofer to do? what is a reasonable fee for a having to install a new curb given that the roof is going to be redone anyway.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Skylight sizing

Seems to me reframing for the new skylight dimensions, if the roof structure is exposed anyhow is a fairly minimal job? It should not cost you too much to cut lumber for a proper sized opening? Everything here starts at $10,000 though so get some bids local to you. I should think a few pieces of 2x whatever, come hangers and nails and a couple hours work could be much less where you are. But where are you? You might want to update you profile with basic geographic information.

Make sure you talk about flashing again around a working/opening glass skylight.

You might be surprised at how much stress you place on your roofing system when you cannot get them open. The high end ones are not so bad but you will learn cuss words you never knew you could utter dealing with lower end, working skylights. Total misnomer in my opinion.

Last edited by user1007; 08-02-2013 at 07:29 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote