Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

Share |

Shortening a door

I have an exterior door frame that is only 73". That is, the door that currently fits in there is 73". How much can you typically cut off a door? Or to put another way, are there doors that can be cut down that much? The door that is currently in there looks like a custom job so I'm not sure where it came from.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Shortening a door

Depends on the door. Solid doors; cut as much as you want. Hollow doors; depends on how wide the solid strip at the bottom of the door is. Most of the hollow doors I've done seem to have maybe 2" or so of solid wood at the bottom.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

Shortening a door

You want a solid door not a hollow core door since it's an outside door.
You what's called a slab do which just means there's not hinge mortises, and no holes bored for the knob.
Your going to need your old door to use as a template for the hinge positions and where the knob goes.
Instead of take it all off the bottom you want to try and keep the middle rail in the center where the knobs goes so sometimes you have to take some off the bottom and some off the top.
If this is not in a basement where you have no choice because of head room I would rather reframe the door so a standard prehung door will fit. Less work and you will get a better fit.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #4

Shortening a door

It is in a basement (with outdoor access) so no choice.

A slab like this is "solid", but the bottom rail is only so thick, and cutting 6" off the bottom rail would weaken it too much I would think. (A fan lite is preferred, but I'm thinking it might not work.)

I don't mind filling in a hollow door with a wood strip - perhaps that's the best way to go.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

Shortening a door

If you do not mind a door that's going to delaminate from the moisture, have all most no insulating value, and can be easily kicked in.