Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Seperating Garage Doors

I'm not sure what triggered this, but both of my garage doors are showing signs of wear. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to remedy this problems. As you can see on the pictures, there is about a 1/4 inch gap on several places of my doors. The worst area is located near the "arm" that pulls up the door. I can temporarily close the gaps by pushing the separated pieces together, but like you guessed it separates as soon as we use the garage.

1) Can I salvage the doors by purchasing some sort of brackets to hold the pieces together?
2) Any other ideas?
3) Is this normal for a 25 year old door?

Thanks

Gerard
Attached Thumbnails
Seperating Garage Doors-image-1289477473.jpg   Seperating Garage Doors-image-125451615.jpg   Seperating Garage Doors-image-1107744539.jpg   Seperating Garage Doors-image-1561263315.jpg   Seperating Garage Doors-image-2313230805.jpg  

gerardswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

Seperating Garage Doors

Bite the bullet and buy aluminum doors. Those have had it.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
joecaption (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,252

Seperating Garage Doors

from what i can see = whomever installed that opener didn't know what they were doing.

put some glue in the gaps and somehow clamp it back together. get a sturdy piece of angle metal, the kind with the holes in it. and use several screw (the same as the ones on the hinges) to attach it. go from the hinge screws up to the top horizontal piece. then attach the opener arm to this metal .

where the opener is attached to the header, it looks to high, but maybe its not.

you would be wise to put at least 2 more of those brackets on the other 2 pieces. and hinges where there are none.

adjust the springs so that the door opens/closes easy by hand.
check and lube all the wheels.

but, if you can afford it = get a new door.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote