Self Closing Doors Between House And Garage? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 562

Self closing doors between house and garage?

Someone told me that code requires a self closing door between the house and the garage.
I have two spring loaded hinges there, but apparently the hinges are not loaded and don't do anything.

So, is that a code requirement?
If so, do they have to be loaded?
And if so, can I leave them the way they are and load them when I sell the house?

I bought the house 2 years ago, and no one seems to have noticed the problem then.

In 30 years of home ownership I am pretty sure I have never failed to close the garage door; the odds of the first time being the same time as a garage fire are rather too high to worry about. On the other hand, I frequently need both hands to carry stuff in.

Advertisement

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

Need a self closing fire rated door between house and attached garage. Should be flagged on resale or major permitted / inspected improvements to either area. Your house do what you want.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,474

You can always check with the AHJ.

In my subdivision, the homes were built before the self-closing fire rated door requirement was adopted. In our area, the doors (non fire rated) are considered to be grandfathered.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

I agree, check locally. The self-closer clause was dropped for the 2003 IRC, I believe. Depends on local amendments to the code....

Gary
Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

To add to Gary's post. Too many hands and fingers were getting pinched when the door closed. That is why it is no longer required.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 602

No one knows where you are since there's no location in your profile.
Never heard of such a thing in residential building.
Fire rated door yes, self closing no.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Around here in northeast Ohio it was code when I was building house in the 90's and early 2000's. Not sure now but whenever I replace that particular door, I still order them with self closing hinges. Never pinched my fingers in them. Not that big a deal to get used to. And when you are ordering the doors from a real lumberyard, the s/c hinges don't cost that much.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 624

It is a good idea, easy to understand. Not only do you need a fire door, but it needs to be closed. And it doesn't need to be closed just because of a fire, it needs to keep exhaust fumes out of the house as well.

I saw the aftermath of a fire in an attached garage without sheetrock on the attic portion of the party wall, and the people who were in the house just had time to stand up and run out of the house.

If you don't like the idea of a self-closing door or a fire wall, then have a detached garage and you can burn it down as often as you like.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No one knows where you are since there's no location in your profile. Never heard of such a thing in residential building.
Fire rated door yes, self closing no.
Really common during the early Millennium.

The hospital my mother was in. Which is the one that my wife & I always end up for surgeries. They have removed the hydraulic closer's from all of the rooms. Too many pinched & injured hands & fingers.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Really common during the early Millennium.

The hospital my mother was in. Which is the one that my wife & I always end up for surgeries. They have removed the hydraulic closer's from all of the rooms. Too many pinched & injured hands & fingers.
I say leave them in, Darwin's theory at work.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Not when you do not want to pay the Medical bills Mike.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,474

Quote:
I saw the aftermath of a fire in an attached garage without sheetrock on the attic portion of the party wall, and the people who were in the house just had time to stand up and run out of the house.
Not having a complete fire wall and the issue of a fire rated door in that wall are two different issues. If you live in a town/city with a decent fire dept response time, the fire isn't going to burn thru a solid wood door before the FD gets the there. Probably won't burn thru a hollow core one either.

Living in a rural area with longer response times ups the desirability of the fire rated door.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,624

Still a requirement in my area
IMO pointless if the firewall does no exist.

Most smart people don't do it without opening the garage door but I would think a fair amount of exhaust fumes could enter a home as well....
Old 04-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

It certainly depends on what code was in force at the time of construction. If it has spring hinges, then they were probably required. Wind them up to put tension on them however you see fit.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote