Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Secure-minded garage man-door

I have a man door in my detached garage that I need to replace. The door is beat to hell, the frame is all busted. Looking to get a pre-hung door to install. Framing is 2x4 stud, vinyl siding.

Is steel the best option for security in an entry door? Lowes/Home Depot has some steel doors but I can't tell from the website the metal gauge, and I don't think they're really even "security" oriented anyways. Perhaps I should be looking elsewhere for this, maybe not though.

Any recommendations on what I should be looking to install? I guess a steel-framed door would be the best option. At least steel-reinforced wooden frame in the striker/latch area. But, I really don't know.

Eh.

Picture that is too far away with no detail and won't help you at all:

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Any prehung steel door with a dead bolt will work.
If they still want to come in they can just break the window and unlock it.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 158

You can buy a true security door, but get out your wallet cause they aren't cheap. A regular steel entry door can be substantially beefed up a lot cheaper. You are probably not going to stop a truly determined thief but you can slow them down and make them create a lot of noise trying to get in. They may decide to just move on to an easier target.

This YouTube video has some good ideas for beefing the strike up with a mending plate, this along with a good quality deadbolt and a few long screws driven through the hinges and into framing can dramatically beef up a plain old home center door.

While you are at it don't forget about the overhead door. A thief can fish a piece of wire up through between the overhead door and jamb, snag the emergency rope and trip the garage door. It takes about as long to do it as it did to type this. I removed the emergency release rope on my shop door and wired the trolley latch so it can't be tripped. Windows in the garage door make this even quicker and easier.

With my shop a few blocks away at another property; I have the same worries. I have done some of these things plus am adding some bars to the inside of the windows to stop entry if they break the windows. I do not live in a particularly high crime area, but drug problems have created a lot more thieves around here these days . These few measures coupled with a couple dusk to dawn lights will hopefully keep my stuff mine.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote