Sealing Replacement Windows - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 240

Sealing Replacement Windows

I'm installing vinyl double hung, double pane replacement windows in my 1965 house's garage to replace the original (as far as I can tell) wood single pane windows. I will eventually do all the windows but decided to start in the garage as a test since this is my first window install and the walls are open. I've framed the walls and there is no interior trim, stool, etc.

I'm a little confused by the terminology and all the sealants recommended. Please confirm/correct my steps.

1. Remove old window from inside (no trim present) and clean opening.
2. Test fit window in opening.
3. Seal inside edge of blind stop with OSI Quad on both sides and top of opening.
4. Install header expander with bead of OSI Quad on top of window (or skip it depending on who you ask).
5. Press window into place. Have assistant hold it while you verify it is level and centered and then shim as needed.
6. Screw four supplied screws through pre-drilled holes into frame.
7. Check work and verify window is still centered and level.
8. Seal bottom of window with daptex expanding foam and then trim and install sill angle to outside bottom.
9. Install GE clear silicone on inside of window to wood frame gaps OR use daptex for this??? It was mentioned to silicone the inside of the blindstops but I can't get to the blindstops once the window is in, just this gap.
10. Caulk outside edges between new window and old blind stops as well as the sill angle with exterior paintable caulk Dap Alex Fast Dry. Leave a weep gap or drill weep holes or don't.
thanks!

Advertisement

mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:07 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,960

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_cobra View Post
I'm installing vinyl double hung, double pane replacement windows in my 1965 house's garage to replace the original (as far as I can tell) wood single pane windows. I will eventually do all the windows but decided to start in the garage as a test since this is my first window install and the walls are open. I've framed the walls and there is no interior trim, stool, etc.

I'm a little confused by the terminology and all the sealants recommended. Please confirm/correct my steps.

1. Remove old window from inside (no trim present) and clean opening.
2. Test fit window in opening.
3. Seal inside edge of blind stop with OSI Quad on both sides and top of opening.
4. Install header expander with bead of OSI Quad on top of window (or skip it depending on who you ask).
5. Press window into place. Have assistant hold it while you verify it is level and centered and then shim as needed.
6. Screw four supplied screws through pre-drilled holes into frame.
7. Check work and verify window is still centered and level.
8. Seal bottom of window with daptex expanding foam and then trim and install sill angle to outside bottom.
9. Install GE clear silicone on inside of window to wood frame gaps OR use daptex for this??? It was mentioned to silicone the inside of the blindstops but I can't get to the blindstops once the window is in, just this gap.
10. Caulk outside edges between new window and old blind stops as well as the sill angle with exterior paintable caulk Dap Alex Fast Dry. Leave a weep gap or drill weep holes or don't.
thanks!
Call/email me if you want to. I can swing by next week and show you what to do.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
DIYer

Rewards Points: 240

Thanks for relocating my thread. I feel a little bad about hijacking but thought the relevance was...relevant.

WoW-
I really appreciate the offer. Maybe we can sync up next week.
mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,960

You have my numbers. Give me a shout and I will swing by and show you best practices.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote