Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

Share |

sceen door repair

How do I fix the screen that became loose on the bottom left?

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #2

sceen door repair

Goig to have to pull out the spline (the rubber strip) pull the screen tight and roll it back in place with a screen roller.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/rolling...M=EGCA&lppc=16

Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

sceen door repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Goig to have to pull out the spline (the rubber strip) pull the screen tight and roll it back in place with a screen roller.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/rolling...M=EGCA&lppc=16
I have the roller, but how do I pull out the spline?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

sceen door repair

Old credit card, butter knife, putty knife. Actually would be easier to just take over to your local Ace Hardware or mom & pop hardware store, and they will have it done quicker than you can. If you have pets that or children, that tend to push on it, do like we did, and put in Pet proof screening.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

sceen door repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Old credit card, butter knife, putty knife. Actually would be easier to just take over to your local Ace Hardware or mom & pop hardware store, and they will have it done quicker than you can. If you have pets that or children, that tend to push on it, do like we did, and put in Pet proof screening.
Kids is what did it. Yep
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

sceen door repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Its a really small area.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

sceen door repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
Its a really small area.
Does not matter, due to when you go to just fix that corner, the kid will poke it back out, or even worse, it will be wrinkled. It is better since it is a kid, to just take it to the local Ace Hardware or mom & pop, tell them that you would like the Pet proof screening put in, and they will fix it, and then make sure that the material cannot be pushed out easily, by using a better spline.

The splines dry out if out where it is direct, late or early sunlight for a period, so better to get the spline replaced, vs. just do a "patch" job.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
valpd (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

sceen door repair

+1

You can fix it pretty simply but I will be willing to bet it will pull from that exact area again.

You could always use aluminum screen mesh and electrify it??? That will keep the kids from pushing on it?

Just kidding...
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

sceen door repair

Windows, First year we got our Golden, after she got big enough to get up on her rear paws, and paw at the screen to try and open the door (figured that we use our hands and thumb to open the latch, that she would try). The cheap screen they use on storm doors is just that, cheap. I ended up going with the Pet proof screen, she still paws at the screen, but after two years you cannot even tell where she has pawed at it.

I did have a problem with the cheap grade aluminum they use for the frames, bend a little out of shape, when I used the wrong gauge screen at first, that I actually fixed that with a little Gorilla tape to hold the spline in at that corner, and still it has held up to her trying to "knock" on the door to tell us she wants in.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

sceen door repair

I am dying to try one of these:

Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

sceen door repair

Do not show that to my wife, but ShmakerScott would probably love one of those auto openers for his Black lab.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Stuck in the 70's

sceen door repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
I am dying to try one of these:

What is that?
Is that just a noisemaker or buzzer or does it open the door?
My sister trained her dog to ring an old cow bell tied near the back door.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Exterior Construction

sceen door repair

Just a doggie doorbell but I am sure the engineers of the world have auto openers and closers.

They already have the key card type doggie doors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Blondesense (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Retired from the grind

sceen door repair

We just use a bell tied by the backdoor, that our golden rings, when she wants out.