Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

Saw blade for hollow core 6 panel doors

Need to trim around and inch from the bottom of a hollow core slab door with a circular saw. It's one of those primed six panel doors. Would I want a 40 or 60 tooth saw blade?

bryanp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

I would use the 40 TPI blade assuming its a molded Masonite door. The 60 TPI blade may not remove enough material from a door that is probably 1-3/8" thick with a solid wood filler on the bottom and I wouldn't be concerned about the appearance on the bottom of a door. Make sure you use painters tape to avoid leaving scuff marks and to prevent chip out.

What I would be even more concerned about is structurally weakening the door by removing too much of the filler strip at the bottom. You may need to find some 1" or 1-1/4" thick stock to glue and clamp into the cavity at the bottom of the door if you are left with little or no filler.

Xygris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xygris For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xygris
I would use the 40 TPI blade assuming its a molded Masonite door. The 60 TPI blade may not remove enough material from a door that is probably 1-3/8" thick with a solid wood filler on the bottom and I wouldn't be concerned about the appearance on the bottom of a door. Make sure you use painters tape to avoid leaving scuff marks and to prevent chip out.

What I would be even more concerned about is structurally weakening the door by removing too much of the filler strip at the bottom. You may need to find some 1" or 1-1/4" thick stock to glue and clamp into the cavity at the bottom of the door if you are left with little or no filler.
You just peel the masonite off the scrap and stick the filler back in with some eagle-grip.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (02-09-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
In a little over my head

If the door has a luan skin, score the cut line with a utility knife before you cut. It'll decrease chipping.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #5

Why do you need that much taken off?
I use a plywood blade, Score the line with a utility knife on the top side use blue tape on the sole of the saw and along the line.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote