Sash Cord Access Panels - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sash cord access panels

My house was built with no access panels to replace the sash cords. I want to cut access doors. It needs to be a nice, neat job because it is a beautiful stone house and the window frames are natural wood. Any suggestions of how to pull this off?

By the way, I've replaced lots of sash cords so i don't need help wit that. Just need to create access doors.

THANKS!
Kathleen

Advertisement

KZeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sash cord access panels

a multi tool would probably be your best bet if you don't want to pull the casing off to get to them. it's the only thing i can think of that will make the cut without making a mess.

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
KZeren (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Sash cord access panels

Most I have seen have a bevel on one end, or both, wide side out. If you cut a scrap with a 30 to 40 degree angle, screw it to the frame and use the angle to lay the blade on as a guide for the multi tool, ( we have been calling it a zippy tool), actually an oscillating saw I think. you may have to cut new doors if the they are too short because of the cut, (kerf).
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duckweather For This Useful Post:
KZeren (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Sash cord access panels

Are you sure that the panels are not just painted over? A lot, you have to pull the front stops, pull the window, and the panels are actually where the windows slide up and down along.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 09-04-2012 at 10:01 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #5

Sash cord access panels

THANKS for the replies!

I'm sure the doors aren't painted over because they are not painted.

I don't want to remove the casing for fear of messing up the pretty natural woodwork. So the multi-tool idea and the double bevel cuts sound like the right idea. The guide sounds good for the angle but I don't want to screw anything to the natural wood. Guess I'll have to wing it.

I'll need to buy the tool and give this a try. Thanks again!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Sash cord access panels

The panels are there, you just have not looked good enough. Pictures help.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
KZeren (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #7

Sash cord access panels

Naw, no access panels. I've had some sashes out, even. It's hard to believe but the no-access panel windows are common 'round these parts. Grrrr... I've replaced lots of sash cords in my time. I need to cut doors this time.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,696

Sash cord access panels

there are no doors on the old windows i am replacing.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Sash cord access panels

As stated before, the panels are actually the rails that the windows ride along. You pull the stops, then you have to pull the windows to tie the cords and have them hang on the panels. Once you get those done, you can then pull the casings to get to the panels & remove, then pull the cords.

It is actually just easier to let the cords slip into the wells, then use retrofit units for the windows vs. trying to replace the sash cords on the weights.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Haverhill Trade 1965

Sash cord access panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZeren View Post
THANKS for the replies!

I don't want to screw anything to the natural wood. Guess I'll have to wing it.

I'll need to buy the tool and give this a try. Thanks again!
Use a couple small brass oval head screws with trim ring I have seen a lot of original ones like that. I would advise a corded tool, they have more power and the hassle of the cord does not outweigh the small batteries and lower power, (because they always run out when you are at the top of a ladder).
KZeren (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #11

Sash cord access panels

Thanks,
I'm curious to know about the "retro fit units" for the windows. Do you know a source?
Kathleen
Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Haverhill Trade 1965

Sash cord access panels

There are usually siding, roofing, window, suppliers. Around New England there is Harvey Industries, & Applicators Wharehouse. They usually deal with contractors so you have to set up a business cash account.
KZeren (09-13-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Sash cord access panels

Here is one version http://www.eaglewindow.com/getdoc/18...Sash-Kits.aspx another version http://www.trimlinewindows.com/ultrafit.asp

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
KZeren (09-13-2012)