Sagging Window Sill - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sagging window sill

Inside window sill came apart at corner, obviously caulked together at some earlier date. Checked with level and it isn't. For now, I re-caulked. But I could push up on it so much as to close the gap. So what next? Pry whole thing off and re-attach? Or just shore it up into place and screw into studs? Should I worry about why it is sagging? No obvious water damage. House is 30 years old. No drywall cracks(there). When I re-attach, how can I prevent future sagging? It is decorative, so it will be hard to hide long-ass screws into studs. But that is what I should use, right?

Advertisement

dfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

Sagging window sill

No clue without some pictures inside and out. No close ups needed.
Need to know if this is an old wooden, vinyl, window.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Sagging window sill

here are pics of the sill
Attached Thumbnails
Sagging window sill-photo-2.jpg   Sagging window sill-photo-1.jpg   Sagging window sill-photo.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Sagging window sill

That's not the sill, that's the stool.
It's just held in place with a few finish nails in the top of it and keep from sagging by the apron under it.
Should be able clean off all that caulking, remove the apron, tap up on the bottom of the stool and replace the apron making sure the nails are going into solid wood.
dfiddler (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #5

Sagging window sill

Thanks, Joe. And thanks for correcting my terminology. So pry the whole thing completely off? Then reattach the apron with nails or screws? Would screws prevent further sagging? And then the stool gets nailed into the apron? Or reverse the order of replacement?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #6

Sagging window sill

Only need to remove the apron, not the stool.
Sure looks like that apron has a crack in it anyway and someone filled it in with caulking. If it was mine I'd replace it with a new piece that's been preprimed and painted before installing.
Make sure it's real wood not MDF!
Once the apron is removed just tap up on the stool lightly to close up the gap then installed the apron making sure it's tight to the apron.
While the apron is off look to see if someone took the time to insulate behind it. Often times there's going to be an open area all the way to the outside wall that should have been foamed before installing the apron.

Advertisement