Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
MAS

Share |

Rough opening for new French doors

I am getting ready to order a new Marvin Integrity double French door to replace an existing french door. Unfortunately, the rough openning is about 3/8" too small for the size door I want to install. To gain the 3/8" I need, I was thinking about replacing one of the 2x4 jack studs with a ripped down piece of 1x lumber. However, I'm concerned that it won't be enough to support the header. Incidentally, the jack stud I'm thinking of removing would be on the fixed door side with the active door hinged in the center. Any advice is appreciated.

MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #2

I'm not licensed in construction, but I'm 99.9% sure that what you just suggested is a very bad idea. A 1x anything, alone, has no business being used for support of anything, let alone a header.

Minich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Not so new

Whats the RO? Whats the size of the new door?
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
MAS

The RO needs to be 63 1/4" and I only have about 62 7/8". I realize swapping out a 2X4 for a 1x might be a bad idea, but I really don't want to mess around with the opening too much. If I can't do it, I'll just opt for a door the next size down which only requires a 59 1/2" RO.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #5

I would say a lot depends on if this is a load bearing wall or not. If not then I don't see a problem.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Joed makes a very good point. I put in a Marvin french door this year (not the integrity, rather a custom order, but very similar product). The header was about 7 feet, and I opted for a steel beam rather than an engineered lumber header due to headroom issues. I supported the steel beam on a double 2x4, which in turn was nailed into a full length king stud, so this was effectively a 4-1/2 inch wide column, one king and two jack studs. This was for a load bearing exterior wall.

Now code varies from place to place regarding how many jack studs you need to support the header, but that is likely to be the driver, not the required frame support for the door. So you really need to determine if you need a single jack stud or a double jack stud to support the header. Your building inspector will likely be able to help out.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

did you actually measure the door itself? most times the dimensions they give you allows for shimming the opening you have may work? less shims.

Last edited by coupe; 02-17-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman
Joed makes a very good point. I put in a Marvin french door this year (not the integrity, rather a custom order, but very similar product). The header was about 7 feet, and I opted for a steel beam rather than an engineered lumber header due to headroom issues. I supported the steel beam on a double 2x4, which in turn was nailed into a full length king stud, so this was effectively a 4-1/2 inch wide column, one king and two jack studs. This was for a load bearing exterior wall.

Now code varies from place to place regarding how many jack studs you need to support the header, but that is likely to be the driver, not the required frame support for the door. So you really need to determine if you need a single jack stud or a double jack stud to support the header. Your building inspector will likely be able to help out.
Where I bent my nails, code for exterior walls was 2 "trimmers"(3" full bearing next to the king (not broken on the sill, to the header) ( can you say whaler?), for anything over 6'.
Use 5/4 decking for the trimmers next to the outer trimmers; you'll be
gaining 3/4".
Sandwich the 5/4" between the 2x's, next to the king and under the header.

Last edited by titanoman; 02-18-2012 at 01:33 AM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
MAS

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Titanomen - A trimmer is a jack stud, right? Like your idea of using a 5/4 decking board, but I think I'll only need to replace one 2x4 to get the additional room I need.

Coupe - the actual width of the door is 63", but I need 63 1/4" to allow for adjustments to level and plumb the door.

Some additional information: The door is on an exterior wall with the ceiling joists above running parallel. Also, there is an open, shed roofed porch right outside the door. I'll try to post some interior and exterior pictures to provide some clarity. Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
MAS

Here are the pictures...
Attached Images