Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Share |

Rough in for 60" interior french doors issue

I am finishing my basement and I framed out 62 inches for 60 inch french doors....well I didn't hang the drywall until a year later and the jack\king studs kind of bowed. I didn't notice it and the hangers went ahead and hung the drywall. I decided to remeasure all of my door openings before I ordered my doors and the rough in ranges from 61 3/8" to 62". Will I have an issue getting the door in? If so what can I do?

Thanks!

Abs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Mod

Most French Doors the RO will be between 63-64”. You’ll need to remodel the opening, including the header. What brand of door?

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-05-2011 at 03:28 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

The door is Jeld-Wen. I checked the specs and it says the rough opening needs to be at least 61 1/2. I think I can make it work. I would think trimming the doors and jam would be easier than ripping out the opening and having to reframe and drywall...no?
Abs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Mod

There’s a few ways to do it. You can cut the sheetrock nails and push it over with a 62” block and re-nail. If the wall’s “Not Load Bearing” you can remove the 2x trimmer and replace with a thinner one. You Can plane it. If I was doing it I’d probably grab the Big Foot and get that bump out of my way.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs777 View Post
The door is Jeld-Wen. I checked the specs and it says the rough opening needs to be at least 61 1/2. I think I can make it work. I would think trimming the doors and jam would be easier than ripping out the opening and having to reframe and drywall...no?
62 inch RO would most likely have ball catches, rather than a T-astragal where the doors meet. That's fine if it's a door to a common area. If you're looking for privacy, not the best choice. They are generally used for closet doors.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #6

You would base the rough opening of a door unit based on a specific door.
If the RO changed due to warping of material, you would remove the warped goods and reframe the opening.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote