Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #1

Share |

Rotting Threshold/Door/Siding

Iíve replaced the door and itís working well but I need to fix another problem. Iím not sure what direction to go. I replaced the door because of rotting caused by poor water drainage. Iíve attached a few photos that should help understand this particular situation.

The roof is angled where a lot of water is deposited in one location, right next to the door. The step below the door isnít angled enough, creating standing water. As you can see there is also water damage in the corner of the house where the roof sections meet.

Iím not sure how to take on the task of fixing it. Not sure if there is something I can buy to place in the corner to keep water off the porch and from running down the side of the house. Should I just put another layer of concrete on the porch and create the correct angle? What could be done besides that and what are the best options.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotting Threshold/Door/Siding-doorthreshold.jpg   Rotting Threshold/Door/Siding-largeview.jpg   Rotting Threshold/Door/Siding-waterdamage.jpg  

jbt411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Mod

Well lets see, a gutter would be a good start. No roof overhang over the door, a awning would help. A storm door would be a good addition also.

Once you have the causes dealt with the you can spend a few on the damage.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
www.doors4home.com

I would recommend installing gutters to divert the rainwater away from this area of the house. The siding needs a lot of work and the door needs to be sealed in.

The aluminium threshold looks to be in good condition except the picture makes the door look like it has slope towards the inside of the house. I would see if the threshold is adjustable first and maybe bring it up a bit and check the door shoe for replacement.

An awning would also help keep the rain from pounding on that door.

Jason

Last edited by jason.r; 06-08-2011 at 05:07 PM.
jason.r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
level foundation, porch, roof, roof angle