Rotted Wood In Sill - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Rotted wood in sill

While painting around a vinyl window I saw that there is a 2x4 between the bottom of the window (the vinyl itself) and the drywall. It is half rotted out. How do I replace the wood and how much of the drywall do I need to cut out to do this? I am assuming that there are studs on either side of the window and that the window is secured to them so if I remove the rotten 2x4 under the window it will not come crashing down on me or the floor (bottom level of a trilevel, so the garden is right there). I am am thinking that I have to remove the casing (two sides and the bottom) and cut drywall and get the cats paw out. Since I have to replace some drywall would I be better off going beyond the studs so I can better support the new "footer" or is that overkill and I just need to toenail in the new piece.

Advertisement

m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

Rotted wood in sill

You don’t want to remove any more drywall than necessary.

If its just the sill you should be able to keep the drywall damage within the casing.

If you have wood jambs you should be able to make the repair with no mud work necessary.

Post a picture of what your dealing with.

Advertisement