Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Rotted Window Sill Replacement

Normally this is something that is beyond my skill set (or lack thereof) but I have some window sills that need replacing and am looking for some advice.

First off, pardon my lack of vocabulary. No window sill replacement info I have found on the internet is like mine. The windows I am referring to have a formed metal plate that the regular window and the storm window sit on. Beneath that is the actual wooden sill. The metal portion does not appear to sit on the wooden portion, which are so bad they are just about falling out.

Because they are so badly rotted, I cannot even tell how they attach to the side of the house, and without being able to find windows with this design, I cant look it up on the internet.

I will post pics tomorrow as it is night and raining right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bigbopper180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 42

Pics will help greatly.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to curtd

Yep, pics very helpful. In one old house there at one time existed only wood double sash windows. Sounds surreal, but true. Then along came aluminum storm windows. The metal plate (aluminum) was needed because in between the double sash and storm window (winter time) condensation occurred and this metal plate keeps the sill from rotting from standing water issues. A little simplistic solution (bc i'm not there) is detach the metal plate from the sill, install new sill and reattach the metal plate to the sill using caulking. This sounds easy right? Sorry, but i know it is not so easy as i make it to sound (labor wise)

Last edited by curtd; 07-27-2014 at 11:33 PM.
curtd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

"The windows I am referring to have a formed metal plate that the regular window and the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]storm [COLOR=blue !important]window[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] sit on."
Curtd: I think your thinking of the wrong parts as he stated the" regular window And the storm window sit on them".I would also like to see a pic so we both can tell for sure.
I know what your referring to and they should not be caulked .They have weep holes in them and this is what lets the condensation escape.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #5

As promised, below are some pictures. I removed one of the sills and broke it down. There were a couple insects but luckily no termites.

Behind the rotten piece I removed there is still non-rotted wood. Now I'm just not sure how best to replace it. Can I nail a replacement piece straight into the wood that was behind it, paint it and caulk it?

After tearing the piece out I'm thinking this may not be as difficult as I originally thought.

bigbopper180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 34

Impossible to tell much from those pictures.
To small, can not even tell what's there siding.
Are they aluminum storm windows that someone sealed the drain holes or there plugged up with dirt?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 20

Yeh, looks like you took those pics from the top of a tree.Can we see some pics of the issue from ground level.Don't mean to be picky but can't even see the sill and the problem.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote