Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Lightbulb

Room window broken - not sure how to fix

Hello all,

I recently broke my Window trying to close it. It was having problems before, being a pain and it seemed stuck. Yesterday, as I was using a lot of force to close it, I heard a snap and it seems something that holds the window snapped.

Now the window is lop-sided and does not close.
Any ideas on what I would need to fix this? I have no clue on how I would even remove the assembly.

Here are three pictures of what I am talking about:

ANY advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am somewhat mechanically handy.

Thank you in advance

BobSingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 92

Welcome to the forum Bob.

It looks like you just broke the balance spring…easy fix. Check out this video on how to replace it.

I’ve always just took the old spring to my local window/glazing shop to get a replacement. They usually had something in-house that would work, if not they could get me whatever I needed within just a couple of days.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Welcome to the forum Bob.

It looks like you just broke the balance spring…easy fix. Check out this video on how to replace it.

I’ve always just took the old spring to my local window/glazing shop to get a replacement. They usually had something in-house that would work, if not they could get me whatever I needed within just a couple of days.
Thank you kwikfishron. This video was very helpful and I have an idea on how I am going to approach taking off the window now!

I will try this once I get home from work. What does seem a little different from my window and this video is that the load spring is exposed in the window. I think my window is so screwed up that the load spring travels WITH the window! I might need to hold it down with a screw driver and move the window up to disengage the load spring.

I will try this tonight or tomorrow and post results. I already know I will be a frequent of this forum. You people are great!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 128

Different balance assemblies can vary the attachment point between the two different options.

Post some pictures up when you get it opened up and I am sure the guys on here can walk you through it pretty quickly.

Be wary of flying parts when you start taking the balances apart.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Different balance assemblies can vary the attachment point between the two different options.

Post some pictures up when you get it opened up and I am sure the guys on here can walk you through it pretty quickly.

Be wary of flying parts when you start taking the balances apart.
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I did not have time this weekend to work on this. I will still keep everyone updated once I do get some time.

Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 92

Do you know the brand of window you have?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Do you know the brand of window you have?
Unfortunately, the window has no indication of any model or even manufacturer. I will try to look again, maybe I missed it.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Architectural Sculptor

This looks similar to my M.I. Vinyl windows though the lock is a single mine, have doubles. there may be a label on the side of the sash if it's a tilt-in type (I dont see a latch to do it)
If it's an M.I. window parts are easy to get from them, I accidentally broke the upper glass and had to replace the assembly, it looked welded in, but turned out their instructionss showed the moldings snap in and can be pried out.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote