Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Roll up screen repair?

I have a larson storm door with the roll up screen. The rubber strip at the bottom of the screen that holds it in the top of the window has split horizontally. It looks like it would be a simple repair to just remove the strip from the window, cut it off at the split and put it back in. However I have removed every visible screw in this thing and can't get it apart.

Any one have experience with this?

Buff8stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #2

Roll up screen repair?

You might try this http://parts.larsondoors.com/online/

josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #3

Roll up screen repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josall View Post
Thanks, but the problem isn't getting parts. I can't get the top window with the screen or the top of the door where the screen is hidden apart.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Roll up screen repair?

Can you provide picture of the door?

HP Properties Capital Projects
Mark Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #5

Roll up screen repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Potter View Post
Can you provide picture of the door?

I'm kinda technologically challenged, never have figured out posting pictures on forums. It's a Larson model 346-14, but they don't seem to have much for pictures on their web site either.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #6

Roll up screen repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff

I'm kinda technologically challenged, never have figured out posting pictures on forums. It's a Larson model 346-14, but they don't seem to have much for pictures on their web site either.
Lol the replacement kit has to be ordered
For this
Unless... The piece at the bottom comes off if so you can just buy that take it off is the screen ripped to? Did you happen to check the home depot for the pull down handle?... It's a pricy door can't imagine how much the replacement kit is

Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #7

Roll up screen repair?

I don't need parts. I need to know if any one has experience with taking this door apart. I can handle the repair or replace issue, if I can just get it apart without breaking it.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #8

Roll up screen repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff
I don't need parts. I need to know if any one has experience with taking this door apart. I can handle the repair or replace issue, if I can just get it apart without breaking it.
So your not finding any screws there not hidden with little plastic covers?
The sides don't pop out? seems to me the Side piece comes off hole mechanism slides out from the cover

Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #9

Roll up screen repair?

It's a pain in the butt. I've replaced hundreds of these screens. For detailed instructions go here: http://www.stormdoorguy.com/owners-manuals/Larson/Larson Rollscreen Replacement Instructions.pdf
stormdoorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stormdoorguy For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-06-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #10

Angry

Roll up screen repair?

I am also having the same problem with my screen. I got the new one to put in and the instructions but it looks like you have to take the whole door apart to fix it. Why does the bottom window have to be removed? I can see me getting it taken apart and not getting it back together. We had to have the installer come out to install another door for us. He looked at it and said to order the new screen and roller and it would be easy to replace. Just pop it out and put the new one in. I'm not laughing.
bsf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #11

Roll up screen repair?

WOW,

What a monumental pain repairing that screen repair was. took about 2 hours.

First, You WILL need to buy a screen repair kit... see the links else where in this posting.

You CANNOT reuse the holder at the bottom of the screen (as was our plan) because is was melt welded to the screen...

The Kit comes with new screen, and 4 plastics parts that you WILL Destroy in the process, instructions, and 2 more plastic parts that replace metal brackets on the screen ends.

On a scale of 1 (1=easy) to 10 this job is a a 10...not kidding. You WILL NEED TWO people!.

Warnings...the screen is pre-tensioned, like an old style window shade...IF it lets go (like ours did) you will need to re-tension before installation. It may seem that it will not cooperate with holding the tension, it will...just keep going at it and it will catch.. If you put too much tension it will let go.

READ INSTRUCTIONS carefully..Even then there will be much justified cursing upon the masochistic, mechanical engineer(s) that designed this horrific mess!

The instructions are NOT that well written so expect a lot of "What the heck do I do with this part?"

Dad tells me (and I, his son, agree) he will NEVER do that again and if the screen goes next time we will rip it all out parts and build a wooden insert, or replace the door with ANYBODY OTHER than LARSON !!!

JP

jp136542 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jp136542 For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (08-01-2014)