Reversing An Exterior Door? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62

Reversing an exterior door?

Is it possible to install an exterior door backwards?

I am looking to replace a storm door on my vacation home. The door leaks air and actually chills down the whole place during the winter. It has opening windows that we really don't need. Due to the location, I cannot simply install an exterior door that opens inwards. I believe the solution will be to buy an exterior door that has hinges on the right and install it with the hinges on the left. I realize that the weatherstripping on the inside of the door may not be entirely adequate, but think that the pros outweigh the cons.

Will I have difficulty in opening the door?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

RumDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Yes it would be easy. But the problem is that you are now going to have a hole where the handle was on the side that it previously was. But that can be fixed with some bondo & spray paint.

You just have to move the Hinge Z-Bar to the side that the handle is on, and move the handle to the side that the Hinge Z-Bar previously was.

If it is leaking air, that just means that you just really have to adjust the Z-Bars, to get rid of the gaps, and maybe replace the bottom sweep.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #3

Hmm - didn't think of the pre-drilled holes.

What is a Hinge Z-Bar?

Problem with the present storm door is that it doesn't seem to have enough insulation and the windows leak - its a new door from a major and highly rated manufacturer.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 688

I'm confused. A picture would sure help.
Reversing the swing on any door is a royal pain, replacing with an outswing prehung door makes more since to me and may not even be needed.
Millions of homes have no storm doors and are leak free, so more info and a picture would be a big help.
I've worked on many a 100 year old house with original doors and managed to make them air leak free with no storm door.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

As for the Exterior door itself. You would have to pull the door, the frame and install a new one that swings inwards. If there is a porch or deck that sits even with the door, it can allow water inside of the exterior door was not properly installed, or weatherstripping not maintained.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #6

Greg - I need a door that swings out - not in - present storm door swings out - I want to replace it with a better insulated door. I am just not seeing outward swinging exterior doors. No porch on the outside. Door leads to 2 steps down - then the porch.

Joe - yes buying a out swinging door would be the best solution - and I would buy a out swinging exterior door if I could find one. Do they even make them?

this is the door we have (my hinges are on the left side)
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

All storm doors swing out. Exterior doors have to swing in, unless on a commercial building.

Right now you have a Right Swing door for the storm. Cannot tell from your picture what swing your interior door is. It all depends on if you want a Right Swing or Left Swing for the doors.

Last edited by gregzoll; 12-21-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Exterior doors have to swing in, unless on a commercial building.
Out-swing residential exterior doors although not the norm are defiantly available and I've installed a handful of the over the years for various reasons.

I've never seen a storm door that swings in though.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 12-21-2014 at 08:31 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #9

Greg - I have no exterior door - ALL I have is the storm door. Is there some law or something that says all exterior doors have to swing in????

My original question is whether or not it would be possible to buy an exterior door and reverse it so that it swings out.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,480

Quote:
Is there some law or something that says all exterior doors have to swing in????
No there is not.

Quote:
My original question is whether or not it would be possible to buy an exterior door and reverse it so that it swings out.
You don't buy a door and "reverse it", you simply just have to order an "out-swing" door.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 12-21-2014 at 08:47 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-21-2014), Hick (12-21-2014), oh'mike (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,302

Yep--order an outswing door---it has a different threshold than an inswing door---so don't attempt to reverse an inswing--it will leak.
gregzoll (12-21-2014), Hick (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 688

If all you have is a storm door and no real exterior solid door then of course you have issues.
Storm doors where never intended to be the only door.
gregzoll (12-22-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,274

If you just install a prehung inswing exterior door backwards so it swings out then the threshold will slope wrong and your door hinges will be on the outside. Might as well not bother locking the door because anyone can just pull the hinge pins and walk right in.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jogr For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-22-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #14

so where can I order a out swinging exterior door?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #15
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumDiet View Post
so where can I order a out swinging exterior door?
Any Big Box hardware store, local lumber yard. If it is a common size, they may have some basic doors in stock.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-22-2014)