Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #1

Share |

Retrofit window question

I accidentally put this question in the wrong section. Oops

I plan on replacing my 25 year old aluminum windows with some vinyl retrofits. The window guy at the local big box store told me I would get the best fit and a slightly larger window if I cut away the aluminum flanges ( I think that it what it's called) that protrude inward from the frame and install the window directly over the frame. After looking online, I can't find any reference to this being done. Is this a good idea? Thanks.
TomJ204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Windows & Remodeling

Retrofit window question

Hard to say for sure... A pic would be great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Retrofit window question

From outside
Attached Thumbnails
Retrofit window question-image.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #4

Retrofit window question

The metal the sales person said should be cut away. Basically, trim away what ever protrudes from the drywall.
Attached Thumbnails
Retrofit window question-image.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Retrofit window question

With the structure having Stucco, you are really looking at a lot of work to get it correct. That means that you may end up having to pay someone to come in and repair any Stucco that was cut away, so you can get the new window units installed properly. Retrofit windows, fit in the frame, but in your case, you would need "New" Construction type windows.

Not something for the faint of heart, if they do not have the time or tools to do the work properly, and correct. Now you can check with a local glass shop, and see if they are able to manufacture replacement slides that are double or triple pane, that would just go back into the frames.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

Retrofit window question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
With the structure having Stucco, you are really looking at a lot of work to get it correct. That means that you may end up having to pay someone to come in and repair any Stucco that was cut away, so you can get the new window units installed properly. Retrofit windows, fit in the frame, but in your case, you would need "New" Construction type windows.

Not something for the faint of heart, if they do not have the time or tools to do the work properly, and correct. Now you can check with a local glass shop, and see if they are able to manufacture replacement slides that are double or triple pane, that would just go back into the frames.
Thanks for the reply.

The sales person is selling me the retrofit windows. However, rather than the new window fitting in the old frame as it is currently, he said for me to cut away the metal flanges on the old frame that separates the window from the screen. The new window would then rest on the portion of the old frame that remains.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
registered

Retrofit window question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ204 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The sales person is selling me the retrofit windows. However, rather than the new window fitting in the old frame as it is currently, he said for me to cut away the metal flanges on the old frame that separates the window from the screen. The new window would then rest on the portion of the old frame that remains.
Don't listen to this sales person. This has to be handled just rite. I like the ideal going to a glass company and seeing if they have double or triple slides or having them come out and take a look and explain your options. This is stucco. This is a tough job which as to be handle by a guy who KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.

Last edited by 747; 02-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote