Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #1

Share |

Restoring 70s Wooden Garage Door

Currently remodeling a house and am interested in restoring the 70s garage door for a couple of reasons: 1). It's in decent shape w/ windows so a new one is not necessary and 2). You pay a premium now for a wooden door, so why not use the one I've got?

Anyway, because of a relocation of the interior door from the house to the garage, we will have to have the tracks higher than the door opening--plus, the tracks completely need replacing anyway from wear and tear. I received a quote of around $600 to replace the track and rollers and to install the motor we already have. This sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

Could someone bring me back down to earth with an idea of what it should reasonably cost to do this?

smokey847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Not even worth it. Majority of the doors from the 70's were made of Masonite and Popular wood. You are best to replace the whole works, including the door.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 03:52 AM   #3

I agree!
They will have to do the exact same amount of labor to install a new one and you would then have a mantaince free door for many years.
Why would anyone want a wooden door?
gregzoll (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #4

Does the $600 include the cost of new track, rollers and miscellaneous hardware?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #5

I have seen some very high end wood doors from that era that I would do my best to keep in service. Be prepared to pay a hefty price if you hire it out though.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #6

find out what the hardware costs. it may be more than you think. and remember, the guy needs to make a living. but perhaps you can diy.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

oh. new garage doors are freaking expencive. to replace mine, with the same basic door. would be over $1200, just for the door !
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
I have seen some very high end wood doors from that era that I would do my best to keep in service. Be prepared to pay a hefty price if you hire it out though.
I have too, but it depends on the neighborhood. Majority of those in Tract developments, or where built for middle class income neighborhoods from the late 60's to early 80's, they used the cheapest stuff for doors & windows, including garage doors.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote