Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing wooden windows

I am going to need to replace my wooden windows. I live in VA and the humidty has caused them to rot (brick molding and sills). If I just do a replacement, then I still have the same rot issues, hence the complete replacement. I need to remove the siding to do this I believe.

Any tricks or suggestions to help me along?

Thanks

j2arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #2

Replacing wooden windows

Hey j3arc,

That's too bad. You can still use vinyl windows to replace your rotting wood ones. You shouldn't have to take down any siding. At the most you might have to cut it back a little to add brickmould or other exterior trim. Basically you are going to take out the old window and frame. This will leave you with your rough opening. Order the vinyl windows according to the R.O. with an extension jamb. The extension jamb will usually make the unit 4 9/16" thick to fit the standard wall depth. You can also do drywall returns on the interior if you don't want to add wood jambs and casing.

What kind of trim is on the outside of the windows now?

gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

Replacing wooden windows

Hey Goto,

What I have is bricki molding on the outer window and interior trim on the inside. The brick molding and window sill are pretty much shot, so I was thinking of replacement window with a flange. Remove the siding and J channel, remove window and then replace with "new construction window" with the outer flange. Nail in place and replace components as removed.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #4

Replacing wooden windows

Yah that will work just fine. You got it!
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Replacing wooden windows

Welcome to the forum!

Let's see if we can get you better help...

What type are the new windows? Material- vinyl, wood, other? Type of siding? Vinyl, wood....

You will have to remove vinyl siding to get a good flashing installed. This will get you started;http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...WrZBbBZoIUXgxw

Similar; Tips for restoring wooden windows?

Tips on flashing out windows and doors?

Pictures are always nice....

Gary
Old 04-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Home Performance

Replacing wooden windows

J2, what you are describing is pretty common and doesn't necessitate full-tear-outs. Brickmold is basically just exterior trim and can be removed/replaced, as can the sill nose, which is typically the only piece that is rotted (1-2" outermost section of sill). By all means, if you'd prefer a full tear-out or if there are any leakage issues then go for it, I just thought I'd throw that out there as you could save yourself a bit of extra work/$.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (01-20-2012)
Old 04-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #7

Replacing wooden windows

Yea, thanks guys.
I have already replaced the brick mold on some of the windows with plastic mold, but it looks not so good, lol. I also replaced the sill nose as you mentioned and unfortunately, that has rotted again. My thought is to just replace the windows with vinyl windows. I think I am going to do this one window at a time (cost) and hopefully i can learn if I start on the small ones first.

I will take some pictures so you can see what I am up against.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:57 AM   #8

Replacing wooden windows

Just had to revive this thread. I am also proud owner of a home with original wooden windows that have rotted badly. I have decided to undertake the massive task of restoring them, rather than replacing them with vinyl. You sound like someone who is handy and doesn't mind doing the regular maintenence that wood windows require. Here is a link to the Holy Grail of wood window restoration. Take a peek and see if this is the route you might like to go. http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/index.htm
whammytap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Heritage Restoration

Replacing wooden windows

bumping an old thread here.

John Leeke's website is a great resource (Historic Home Works above) for everybody!
www.ParadigmShiftCustoms.com
Skuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #10

Replacing wooden windows

Where in VA?
I'm in Hartfield VA.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote