Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing windows

Am going through the process of replacing some rather old, metal frame windows. As I am a typical DIY guy, I got a few quotes an now want to see what it's ganna cost me to do it. I have replaced windows before but it was a generic vinyl to vinyl same size replacement, no questions asked. Now I am going from a large single metal frame to 3 double hung vinyls. I just cut open the inside portion of the metal from and got down to the ruff 2x4 opening. Just trying to get an idea for how to measure when going from one opening to 3. I will frame out each window and allow for a shim tolerance but not sure how much of a tolerance I will need. Any one got suggestions?
Weaver1463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Replacing windows

Post up some pictures to start with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Replacing windows

Really would have been better to order the windows first since it may take two weeks to get them.
Also best because often times the ordered size and the one's you receive can be slightly different.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Windows & Remodeling

Replacing windows

It sounds as though you are putting 3 windows into one opening? If so, the best but would be to get them factory mulled (put together at the factory) and not frame in each one individually. You could also look at something like a 3 lite slider as opposed to the 3 double hungs if cost is a major concern.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Replacing windows

standard practice for all windows is to frame the opening 1" larger both in height and width. this allows for proper shimming and space for spray foam insulation
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote