Replacing Window In Brick Wall - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Replacing window in brick wall

Hello all. We want to replace the window shown here with a double hung window. The house was built in 1969 and I'm pretty sure the window is original. Is there any way to replace the window with a new window without replacing or upsetting the brick? Thanks for any help! By the way I can remove the old window and cut out the old frame I just don't know what I'd do to put a new window back in. I've seen some info on frameless windows but it sounds like they're not as leek resistant in the long run. I was thinking I could trim out the window opening and then install a flanged window but it would seem the trimming would be an much a potential leak point as the frameless window. Thoughts? And thanks in advance!

Alan
Attached Images

Advertisement

wandermcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,336

This window looks as if it replaced a door at one point.
What happened to the brick that was over the door. The house was not built with the bricks missing.
When you say you want a DH window in this space, do you mean the whole space, from soffit to floor?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,866

Is that under an overhang?

If so, the dominant leak point is going to be across the base/sill.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Although I've only lived here a few years we have the original plans to the house so I'm sure it was always a window, never a door. It is under a fairly large overhang but we get some very horizontal rain here in Houston from time to time so I want to be sure it doesn't leak from anywhere. We are wanting to put a single double hung window in there. It's currently a 36x76 window and we'd like to keep it the same size.
wandermcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandermcd View Post
It's currently a 36x76 window and we'd like to keep it the same size.
Andersen makes one that size as a standard window, not special order. Since this goes below 18" from the floor, you'll need to get this glazed with safety glass, whatever manufacturer you decide upon.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,439

I just went through this and it was fun!

If that is the original window you will probably find that the brick to brick opening is smaller than the stud to stud measures. The brick to brick measurements are probably going to be your RO width.

Some framing and waterproofing will be required for a quality install.

I took a lot of pictures and can share some of them but not tonight.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
This window looks as if it replaced a door at one point.
What happened to the brick that was over the door. The house was not built with the bricks missing.
When you say you want a DH window in this space, do you mean the whole space, from soffit to floor?
i live in houston as well... and most of these 1970's single story homes have windows just like thiis... no lentils. my moms place is the same.

Im in the process of replacing all of the soffit fascia/fascia sub framing. the trim is simply some 1x4 and 1x6 rough sanded pine boards nailed together to form an outside corner.

then a soffit frieze board runs over this trim.

as far as a new window in old construction brick veneer.... be very careful... take measurements of the veneer depth, AND take stock of the maximum depth of the brick reveal.

some of the bricks are going to be in ****ty condition, chipped or what ever. you need to place your windows such that they hide these imperfections. at my moms place the windows are nail fins with like... a 2.25inch reveal. any deeper and the brick imperfections show through.

in my case i needed masonry clips to hold the window securely. if youve never done windows before pay close attention to the brick veneer.

flashing this window will be a PITA... i would reccomend a solid PVC pan or a fluid applied flashing membrane. the bricks prevent you from installing your conventional butyl rubber flashing tapes properly.

Advertisement

Last edited by Queequeg152; 08-31-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Queequeg152 is offline   Reply With Quote