Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing standard sliding glass door with same size fixed on side hinged second side

I have a completely worn out sliding glass door with aluminum tracks in bad shape. I have a same size door to fit opening, with one side fixed, the other hinged. What will i need to do to make this happen? Do I need to replace the frame?

Last edited by Jacey; 12-07-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: bad wording
Jacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #2

Replacing standard sliding glass door with same size fixed on side hinged second side

Does the new door have nailing fins on the sides and top, or brick molding?
In most cases the casing trim, whole door and frame has to come out and the new door just fits in it's place, but if there's nailing fins the siding and J moulding (if you have vinyl siding) have to come off in that area, caulking gets put where the nailing fins are going to sit, the door gets nailed in place once you check for plumb, window tape gets installed over the nailing fins. And siding reinstalled. Fill the gap between the jams and rough framing with fiberglass or low expanding foam and reinstall the casing.
You also would be far better off buy a sill pan for the door to sit in so water can not get in and take out the subflooring.
Do a key word search on "jam sill".

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #3

Assuming the new door is prehung, just remove the old door/frame and insert the new in the opening. Of course there is more to than that, but there should be directions with the door.

Proper flashing around the door and the threshold are VERY important.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote