Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Share |

replacing seal in double glass window?

I see condensation in my double-glass window. Someone had told me that the seal inside the window is degraded. Is there an instruction on removing the window glass and replace the seal? Can I bring the seal to HomeDepot to buy a replacement? Thanks for the help.
kel456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

A picture of the window will help quite a bit.

You have several options:
  • Buy a replacement sash from the manufacturer if it is not under warranty (most expensive but easiest from point A to point B).
  • De-glaze the window and have the glass replaced by a glazing shop (Home Depot cannot handle that repair) and installed a new sealed IGU (insulated glass unit)
  • Have the IGU vented via breather holes and hope that this eliminates the condensation and keeps it from coming back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

A picture of the window type. What do you think? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Double pane aluminum window.

Which sash is showing the condensation and does the top sash come down?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

The condensation is not in this window. I was in a hurry this morning to leave for work so I quickly toke a picture from a best possible sun light angle to show the window frame because I donít know the my window type. The top sash does come down and both sashes can be removed. A few windows were serviced for the seal problem about 3 years ago. I guess it was poorly done. It was done very quickly in my apartment hallway. Even though I can get this done for no charge by my building management but I have to wait from at least 6 months to 1 year. If I learn how to do this then I can do the repair convenience if the task is not difficult. Since I have most of the tools that a home auto mechanic has, I think I maybe able to tackle this problem.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

If you can get the size of the glass pack, you should be able to disassemble the sash and swap out the glass if you have the glass pack pre-made.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

If the term glass pack means the actual entire double glass piece then I don't the glass pre-made. If changing the entire glass piece then I think I got rip off when my windows were worked on because I did not see the 2 fellows take any old glass piece with them. Is that how it is done changing the glass pack (entire double glass piece)?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

They probably swapped out the sashes which is easiest and most painless.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #9

I agree with windows, no way they "fix it" out in the hallway.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #10

Is it a difficult task to remove the glass pack and clean out the stain and seal it with say silicon?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #11

why not contact the manufacturer of the window and see if they have a replacement glass package or a new sash that inculdes the glass package.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote