Replacing Patio Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Replacing patio door

I want to replace our patio door. The original door was I beleive installed at the time of the original construnction and was set in poured concrete. It is in a "walkout" basement.

So I measured the door and it was a standard measurement. But I didn't realize it was set in concrete until after we got the door. I haven't removed any trim so I'm not sure if the whole frame is set in cement or not. It almost looks like it is. It is mid 1970's construction.

Regardless does anyone with experience have any thoughts about the removal and installation proceedure? I have done some remodeling projects but nothing like this. I would just like to have some information from someone that may have encountered something like this

Advertisement

denjinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Replacing patio door

Quote:
Originally Posted by denjinks View Post
I want to replace our patio door. The original door was I beleive installed at the time of the original construnction and was set in poured concrete. It is in a "walkout" basement.

So I measured the door and it was a standard measurement. But I didn't realize it was set in concrete until after we got the door. I haven't removed any trim so I'm not sure if the whole frame is set in cement or not. It almost looks like it is. It is mid 1970's construction.

Regardless does anyone with experience have any thoughts about the removal and installation proceedure? I have done some remodeling projects but nothing like this. I would just like to have some information from someone that may have encountered something like this

We need to know...
What is it that is "set in concrete"?

Is this a wood door, metal door, what?

So this walk-out has poured concrete walls all around the lower elevation?

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 738

Replacing patio door

Most likely going to need a picture on this one.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 888

Replacing patio door

I doubt that anything was set in concrete.It may look like the threshold was but I doubt it.They may have set the door and poured concrete up to it but like others have said.We need pictures to help.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #5

Replacing patio door

It appears to be a metal door and the bottom of the door is set into the concrete floor. My fear is that the whole door is set in cement.

As I said I havent removed any trim so I'm not certain if the remainder of the door is set in concrete or just the base. The walls are are poured concrete walls.

I'm just going to have to remove trim and "see" just what we have to deal with. I was just wondering if anyone had ever encountered a situation like this and what issues I need to be aware of, do's, don't's.

I will investigate further and take pic's to post. If you have any other thoughts please post them....thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Replacing patio door

Quote:
Originally Posted by denjinks View Post
It appears to be a metal door and the bottom of the door is set into the concrete floor. My fear is that the whole door is set in cement.

As I said I havent removed any trim so I'm not certain if the remainder of the door is set in concrete or just the base. The walls are are poured concrete walls.

I'm just going to have to remove trim and "see" just what we have to deal with. I was just wondering if anyone had ever encountered a situation like this and what issues I need to be aware of, do's, don't's.

I will investigate further and take pic's to post. If you have any other thoughts please post them....thanks
So far...We don't know what the "situation" is and neither do you apparently. Let's see some pictures. Pull some trim, do some exploration and discovery, take some pictures, we can go from there.

It is highly unlikely that the door is "set-in-concrete" but I suppose anything is possible.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #7

Replacing patio door

Your probably right. It just "looks" like it is. You are already making me feel a little better about the situation. I'll get pic's as soon as I can. Might be a couple of days.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #8

Replacing patio door

I'm unable to download pictures....thanks anyway
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #9

Replacing patio door

I have finally got a couple of pictures downloaded in an album "PATIO DOOR".
Old 06-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

Replacing patio door

I have some pictures in the site album for anyone check and give some input
Old 06-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 37

Replacing patio door

You should remove the old patio door by dissembling it and removing it in pieces. First, remove the sliding door and fixed panel, then remove the screws from the top and bottom of the fixed panel.
Again when installing the doors, make sure you understand the type of doors you have in case there are specific steps to do so.

Advertisement

garykerr is offline   Reply With Quote