Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing old kitchen window with new construction window

I have a window above my kitchen sink that is probably 50 years old. It's wood with storm windows and it's practically painted shut. The outside of the window is rotten. I had originally planned to use a vinyl replacement window but after seeing the outside rot I guess thats out of the question. So my plan is to pull the old window how and get down to the bare studs or rough opening. The outside of my house is vinyl siding and it is run up to the old existing window and had J channel against the existing brick mold window trim.

I'm wondering how I deal with installing a new construction window and the plastic nailing tab. Do I remove the J channel and pry back the siding enough to slip the window into place? Then use some kind of flashing tape to cover the tabs and nail holes and then reinstall new J channel? I have to admit I'm kinda stumped as to how to do this. I know the rough opening is 34.5" wide and 36" tall. There are no off the shelf windows I can find in that size. I called a local retailer in my town and they quoted me $229 for a Jeldwen vinyl new construction window.

Any tips or videos you can recommend that would help me figure this out?

speedster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

Easer to remove the siding to get it out of the way instead of trying to work around it.
To save a step and less chance of leaks you can order a new window with built in J molding.
Yes you need to use caulking behind the nailing fin on the top, and two sides, not the bottom, then cover the fin with self sticking window tape, once again just the top bottom and two sides. the bottom left open so any water that does leak in can get out.
Then the siding goes back on.
The siding may or may not fit, reason being there's no way to set the new window in the exact same spot and may even be a little bigger or smaller then the old one.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post

Any tips or videos you can recommend that would help me figure this out?
you can start here: http://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/sea...indow+with+new
epson is offline   Reply With Quote