Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

Share |

Replacement windows

Any advice on what to look out for concerning replacement window inserts? I was hoping to find something in vinyl to install myself.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #2

Replacement windows

Do not buy them from a box store.
Google replacement "window terms" so you can compare apples with apples.
Concider ordering 1/2 screens not full screens. There easer to take out and clean.
May want to check with your local siding supply house for pricing.

Before you go looking for pricing have all the sizes written down.
Make sure you know what your doing when measuring the openings. There going to be made to order, if there wrong there's no taking them back.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (08-31-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

Replacement windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Do not buy them from a box store.
Why is this? I am curious to the reason.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Replacement windows

Prices are going to be to high, the person talking your order in most cases will not have a clue to help you decide which window to buy.

Just about every window company has a range of qualitys in there windows, from builders grade to top of the line, so do not go just by a brand name.
Just because they spent more money on TV advertizing does not make it a good window.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #5

Replacement windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
Why is this? I am curious to the reason.
Because Home Stores know who their customers are and they carry products those customers want. Typically, the reason someone decides to do something themselves, is to save money. Quality products cannot be purchased for a low price. That's why Home Stores only advertise that they have low prices. Brands like American Craftsman, Crestline, etc. have very flimsy vinyl extrusions, use antiquated technology, and are not among the best performing.

I doubt you would expect a high quality meal from a restaurant that only advertised how cheap their food was.
EcoStarRemodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Replacement windows

OK, then what brands of vinyl replacements are good quality then?
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

Replacement windows

I would go down to your local building supply store and see what they carry. Many carry the Simonton Reflections 5500. If that is available, it's definitely one of the better windows available to DIY's. Other brands worth considering are by PlyGem and Vinylmax.
EcoStarRemodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #8

Replacement windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoStarRemodel View Post
Other brands worth considering are by PlyGem and Vinylmax.
I second EcoStarRemodel. PlyGem Vinyl Windows are great value for money. I spent a month researching competitors and after much deliberation decided to put about 30 Ply Gem Windows in my house.

I was looking for a good balance of quality and price. The windows are well crafted. Installation went smoothly, they have been in the house for about 8 months with no complaints.

I went with the Builder series but if you're looking for something a nicer check out the PRO and Premium series. Since you're doing replacement Windows check out the Contractor Series (basically same as Builder Series but for Replacement Windows): http://www.plygemwindows.com

Last edited by griffe; 09-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.
griffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Windows & Remodeling

Replacement windows

Plygems are decent, but there are indeed better products to be had for diyer's, depending upon your location. Many areas have Himark/Okna, Sunrise, and Softlite-Gorell products available for purchase, which are generally considered the top 3 vinyl lines available. When in doubt, compare the performance ratings (both thermal and structural).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote