Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

Share |

Replacement window questions

Hi,
Thinking of getting replacement windows for the 8 in my balcony.
Does anyone have any recommendations for good companies to install them? I'm in central PA.
Second question is if it is worth it to pay for the Argon/low-e options?
Any other things to make sure I ask about when choosing a window and installer?

Thanks!

j_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Where in Central PA? Kind of a big state and area.

Low-e and Argon are a must. There is no point in replacing your windows without these additions and they are pretty much a standard in most replacement windows today.

Post up some pictures of your windows now and I can make some recommendations for questions based on that visual.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

Hi Wash,
Thanks. I'm Williamsport,PA.
Here are some pics .....
Edit: Sorry about the upside-down pic. Held the phone wrong.
Name:  ForumRunner_20120529_130316.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120529_130404.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120529_130506.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120529_130431.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  40.1 KB

Last edited by j_sun; 05-29-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Picture upside down
Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

No worries.

Have you had any quotes yet? Did they identify lead?

That will be a pretty good standard window insert job. Your company should be RRP certified and have the windows tested. That installation is about as easy as they come.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
No worries.

Have you had any quotes yet? Did they identify lead?

That will be a pretty good standard window insert job. Your company should be RRP certified and have the windows tested. That installation is about as easy as they come.
Lowes just left. $2400 for basic installation using the Pella double hung, low-e, argon windows. Additional $60/ window to "wrap" the outside in Al. Additional $48/window for lead removal. $3264 total for 8 windows.

Ran home for lunch for the quote and left paperwork there so sorry don't have models. I do know I opted for the "better" Pella windows compared to their other line.

I haven't had this room tested for Pb but based on the age of my home, (early 20's) and Pb in other rooms I am going to assume there is Pb here.

Do you know of a place to get a reliable, not overly-expensive home lead test? I've bought $20 ones off of eBay and they were worthless.

Last edited by j_sun; 05-29-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added question
Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

It is a pretty safe assumption there is lead paint there.

The Lead Check swabs work well for up or down confirmation.

Not a fan of the Pella vinyl in any capacity.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
It is a pretty safe assumption there is lead paint there.

The Lead Check swabs work well for up or down confirmation.

Not a fan of the Pella vinyl in any capacity.
What about the $60/window to do the Al "wrap" out side? Is that worth having them do at installation time or can I bring in my regular handyman to do it for $45/hour?

How about Window World as a company/product?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Trim wrap is a definite plus for most folks.

Most standard handyman are not that good on a trim brake and can create more issues than solved.

I would stick with the window company you use to do the wrapping.

WW are okay but I don't know that specific franchise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
j_sun (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Home Performance

If they quoted you the Pella 350, that is a good deal, although I still don't care for the pocket sill. Anything less in Pella vinyl is not even worth considering, IMO.
I'd also highly discourage using a box store or "bargain" dealer as they typically pay their installers far less than the going rate. Less money often equals lower quality installs and more problems.
On the wrap job, I agree with WoW. Have a qualified installer do it. A poor wrap job will direct water INTO the window opening rather than shedding it away.
I'm not sure if he serves your area specifically, but AGM (in Florham Park) is a great dealer in North/Central PA. Great products without the high-pressure pitch or the accompanying "jacked-up" pricing. You'll pay more than the bargain guys to be sure, but its a fair price for a top-quality product.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
j_sun (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Replacement Window Advice

I see Window World advertising $189 for double hung windows. I believe that is with out low-e and argon. From the pictures it looks like the porch you are replacing the windows in is not heated or cooled, correct? If that is the cast I don't see the point in low-e and argon. These options help with insulation value and heat gain which I believe are not a factor in a unconditioned space. So why spend the money on them.

I would stay away form box stores for windows for reason previously stated. I have not used Window World, but if cost is a major factor I would get a quote from them.

The only part of your window that needs wrapping is the blind stop (the exterior stop that the window butts up against) and that piece is only a "L" bend about 1/2" x 3/4" and should not be more than $30 per window. Some window companies might include the aluminum wrap to get the job. Don't be afraid to say "if you trow in wrapping of the stops the job is yours" the cost to actually do the stops is minimal. Worth a shot.

Lastly, you can get lead test swabs from Lowes or Depot for $5 to $10. I believe they are called Lead Check "if it's red it's lead" something like that. Just crush the tube to mix and the if the gel turns red it's lead.

Last edited by Window Advisor; 05-29-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something
Window Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Window Advisor For This Useful Post:
j_sun (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Home Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window Advisor View Post
I see Window World advertising $189 for double hung windows. I believe that is with out low-e and argon. From the pictures it looks like the porch you are replacing the windows in is not heated or cooled, correct? If that is the cast I don't see the point in low-e and argon. These options help with insulation value and heat gain which I believe are not a factor in a unconditioned space. So why spend the money on them.

I would stay away form box stores for windows for reason previously stated. I have not used Window World, but if cost is a major factor I would get a quote from them.

The only part of your window that needs wrapping is the blind stop (the exterior stop that the window butts up against) and that piece is only a "L" bend about 1/2" x 3/4" and should not be more than $30 per window. Some window companies might include the aluminum wrap to get the job. Don't be afraid to say "if you trow in wrapping of the stops the job is yours" the cost to actually do the stops is minimal. Worth a shot.

Lastly, you can get lead test swabs from Lowes or Depot for $5 to $10. I believe they are called Lead Check "if it's red it's lead" something like that. Just crush the tube to mix and the if the gel turns red it's lead.
For the sake of other consumers that may view this thread, please let me clarify that the cheap "test swabs" for lead do not pass muster in multiple states, including here in WI. In addition, a positive lead test would necessitate FAR more invasive RRP procedures(= more $$$) than the price difference in going from a "blind stop wrap" to a full wrap. A blind stop wrap would typically necessitate removal of the interior stops, and therefore either a zip wall, or MAJOR containment/sealing of each room at a potential cost of $100+, in comparison to an additional $30-$40 to get the full wrap on the exterior trim.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 05-29-2012 at 09:48 PM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-19-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window Advisor View Post

The Window World window at $189 does not include Low-e/argon.

Regardless of the space being conditioned or not, I would still recommend Low-e/argon. Low-e/argon will keep the radiant heat down in that space and will allow it to be more useable for more of the year.

The Low-e/argon will also slow the loss of heat in the winter and in doing so, will make the adjacent wall to the home more "efficient" as a result of slowing the heat loss in the porch area.

It appears that there is some wrapping on that exterior already but I would not just wrap the exterior stop. If you were going to go that route, I would just remove the exterior stop and replace with PVC for that matter.

If you have a crew out there already, I would have the whole window wrapped for a cleaner look and protection of the sills at the same time.

+1 to HomeSealed comments on the wrap vs blind stop and the RRP requirements.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Replacement Window Advice

Quote:
The Window World window at $189 does not include Low-e/argon.

Regardless of the space being conditioned or not, I would still recommend Low-e/argon. Low-e/argon will keep the radiant heat down in that space and will allow it to be more useable for more of the year.

The Low-e/argon will also slow the loss of heat in the winter and in doing so, will make the adjacent wall to the home more "efficient" as a result of slowing the heat loss in the porch area.

It appears that there is some wrapping on that exterior already but I would not just wrap the exterior stop. If you were going to go that route, I would just remove the exterior stop and replace with PVC for that matter.

If you have a crew out there already, I would have the whole window wrapped for a cleaner look and protection of the sills at the same time.

+1 to HomeSealed comments on the wrap vs blind stop and the RRP requirements.
I agree, windows with low-e and argon are better and wrapping the entire window in one piece makes for a better job. I was just giving him some options to think about if he was looking to save some money. Wrapping the stops only and sealing them looks okay. If you do have the whole window wrapped than $60 per window is not a bad price.
Window Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Exterior Construction

Interesting first post Jimbo.

How did you energy bills go down? How much so?
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #15

Kinda late in here but I ended up going with window world. I opted for the middle of the road windows with the low-e option. The installation looks very professional and thorough. The guys did a great job fitting them and the wrapping is very nice. They used ample caulk and left a nice perfect bead. The quality of the windows seems nice as well. Feel very solid and well built unlike some of the crappy no-name replacements the previous owner had installed. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend WW to anyone in north central PA.