DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacement window in new remodelled opening

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  HomeSealed 
#1 ·
I Just bought a brand new good quality efficient vinyl replacement window at our local Restore for dirt cheap (cost is a major factor). I have to make the window opening larger to accommodate the window size.

There is no manufacture name anywhere on the window. there are still stickers on the glass, but nothing of manufacturer or place of purchase. on the frame is a sticker with the size and number of the window. but searching the internet gave me no luck in finding a manufacture or place of purchase.

Do they make universal snap on nail fins? or should I just install it as a replacement window with no nail fin?

I have already bought the window and made the opening.
please only helpful comments about how to make this work most effectively.

thanks for your input.

#3 ·
Yes I searched through and and found two other posts about using windows with no nail fin. and was still wondering if i should try and find a snap on nail fin for this window. but am leaning towards getting the window in sooner rather than later.

I just bought a foreclosed 1907 home and am remodeling the main living room. originally the home had 35w x 70h window openings. and through the years they took those windows out and closed the space to 24x24 windows placed at the top of the original space. The original opening is still their just studded in. so i'm taking out the window and removing the fill-in, and then raising the header 4.5 inches to accomodate this bigger window 34w x 74.5h. I will be replacing the siding next summer so i'm not too worried about aesthetics for now just a good weather seal.

#4 ·
A snap on fin has to be cut and installed properly to work as it was designed. Either way, this is going to be a bit more complicated than a simple pocket install or even a traditional nailing fin install. You should be able to find some good instructions, youtube videos, etc if you look hard enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.