Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

Share |

Replacement window to brick

I just had a few replacement windows installed. The installer did a great job on the inside. But on the outside he wrapped the old wood trim with aluminum flashing. On the outside trim that meats the brick he put caulking on the brick and the flashing. Couldn't he have put another 90 degree bend into the alumni so he can tuck it behind the exterior molding so he didn't have to put caulking on the brick. It looks great except where he put the caulking on the aluminum/flashing to the brick. Can I remove caulking on brick?

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

Sure if you want water to get behind it.

jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Home Performance

It wouldn't get water behind it if it is back-caulked. Ultimately, it can be done either way, but I prefer caulking direct from metal to brick. You'll never get a perfect bead there because of the texture of the brick, but if you post a pic, we can let you know if it is a professional-looking job or not.
...and just to clarify, when I say that an extra bend could be added, I mean that it can be flared out and away from the window, not actually wrapped back around the side of the brickmold. The would be extremely difficult to do, and would not be water-tight as jsbuilders alluded to.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 05-06-2013 at 10:54 AM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote