Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacement of garage door panels

I am a nube and am glad that I have found this forum and have joined. I have a two car garage with two doors one of which has two panels, the bottom and next one up that have been damaged by insects and dry rot. The door is an old style wood with masonite inserts. I have been able to obtain some used replacement panels and saw on line that the panels can be replaced without removing the whole door by just removing the bad panels and replacing them with the "new" ones. Has anyone ever used this method and do you have some advice on hoe to approach it...thanks!

BeanCntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Not sure what info you need, preprime and paint the panels, remove the old from the inside and replace.
Most often an old wood door is just not worth the time to repair. T ake a close look at the cross members, if there bad time for a new aluminum or steel door.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Joe--appreciate the info, what I was trying to get at was if there is a way to replace the two bottom panels without pulling all of the panels out of the door; i.e removing the very top panel, then the third panel, then the second panel and then the bottom panel and replacing in reverse order. I saw a video on you tube where a guy left the two top panels in place and removed and replaced the bottom two. What I was wondering is how you secure the cables springs etc if it can be done that way...seems like it would be easier than pulling out the entire door...thanks again
BeanCntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Messing with the bottom panel of a sectional garage door is not typically DIY work. The bottom roller brackets carry all of the spring tension. Working with the bottom brackets in the closed position is exceedingly dangerous unless you know exactly how to go about it. I've only ever done it on big doors that were collision damaged and could not be safely raised. It is possible to remove the masonite panels and replace them. Usually you have to trim the stops away with a router and then cut new stops to hold the panels in place. A good grade of exterior plywood is better than masonite for a replacement.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote