Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #1

Share |

Replacement door - what's involved?

I had a new pre-hung interior door installed about 8 months ago and now I'd like to replace just the door if possible. Is it possible for someone (not me) to make a new door and have it line up with the existing hinges on the door frame? I could imagine taking half the hinge off the old door, putting them on the other half on the frame and putting the pins in the hinges, then holding the slab door up to the hinges and then marking a pencil line at the top of where each hinge is touching the new slab door. Could also make a line for the screw holes. Then someone (again, not me) would have to just chisel out the area for the hinges and drill the pilot holes.

djgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
DIY staff

That is done all the time---you over simplified it a bit--but yes replacing the slab can be done.

djgrant (02-07-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #3

What he said, and ...........Make sure the doors are exactly the same height & width, latch side properly beveled....set the doors on edge back to front(both same way they would be in the opening. Align top edge, then scribe bottom edge for trimming if needed. With the tops still aligned, mark the hinge positions with a square.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
djgrant (02-07-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

And don't be surprised if it doesn't fit right the first time as the chances of the jamb being as square as the door aren't guaranteed.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
In a little over my head

They did it yesterday on "Ask This Old House", if you can find it.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #6

Beside all that the other replies, doors don't always hit the stops the same. You may have to take a block and tap the stops in or out to get the door to "thump" nicely all the way around when closed, then add nails so the stops stay in the new position.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
What he said, and ...........Make sure the doors are exactly the same height & width, latch side properly beveled....set the doors on edge back to front(both same way they would be in the opening. Align top edge, then scribe bottom edge for trimming if needed. With the tops still aligned, mark the hinge positions with a square.
OK thanks, so I can take the old door to the same place I bought that door from (or a different place) and they should be able to make a new one just like the old? Awesome. I had no idea the latch side was beveled, interesting. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to clamp the doors together and using squares and what not to make them identical... Thanks!
djgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #8

You should be able to buy a door "slab" (a door that does not come in a frame, and so does not have the hinge mortises cut or hardware holes drilled out)

You don't need to bring the door there. What you need to do is measure your door (will probably be 28, 30, around there for an interior door) the height should be 6'8. You may have to cut your door slab a bit (from the bottom) if the old door had to be cut for higher flooring. You will also need to specify whether you'd like a hollow or solid core door. If you go with a solid door, it is recommended the door be hung from 3 hinges instead of two.

If you hang the door yourself-It is worth positioning the door in the opening to see how square the frame is, before going ahead and mortising your hinges. You may have to plane the door a bit to fit properly, although hopefully not considering it is a fairly newly installed door frame.

Last edited by chrisBC; 02-06-2012 at 11:29 PM.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisBC For This Useful Post:
djgrant (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Why not figure out who made the door and order a new one from them.

Finding a slab is possible but many of them are pre-prepped and you will need to make sure all the measurements line up.

Dealing with this right now and the two manufacturers that I mostly use cannot modify the prep at all because of where the re-enforcements are.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #10

a place like home depot or lowes will typically have lots of slabs around (around here anyways), not pre-drilled or anything. depends what door you are lookinng for-a shaker door you may have to custom order. six panel you should find pretty easily.

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote