Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #1

Share |

Replacement door installation?

Well here I am again, asking another question. I would be lost without this forum!

I bought a new Feather River fiberglass prehung door from HD. After paying a handyman to install it I am looking at the gap on the lockset side of the door. It is 1/4". Not looking right I went to HD last night and talked to the door guy. He pulled another door and the gap is less than 1/8". He said he was unsure of what to do and that I should contact the manufacturer. This is a holiday weekend so I am looking at leaving the door till tue, when I start being the gopher for the tile guy!

I have included pic's, no shimming, twisting, tweaking, or prying will shorten the head jamb or sill plate. The gap on the hinge side looks proper.

I am happy with the door and do not want to return it. But am wondering if I should drop the assembly and shorten the head jamb and sill plate or wait and contact the manufacturer?

The first photo should be the top hinge side, showing a tight fit. The second photo shows the top lockset side showing a 1/4" gap and the third shows the bottom lockset side showing a 1/4" gap.

Many thanks JIm
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement door installation?-p1010480.jpg   Replacement door installation?-p1010481.jpg   Replacement door installation?-p1010483.jpg  
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #2

How are you checking this to see why it's off?
Before that door ever went in I would have been checking to see how level that threshold was.
If it's off that can throw the whole door off.
I see where for some reason he installed it tight to the rough framing on the hindge side. More often it's best to split the differance in the gap so adjustments can be made.
Unless that hinge side R/O is 100% plumb, not twisted, and is 100% flat for the whole lenght it's not going to work being tight againt it like that.

It also looks like the door was not installed so it was flush with the outside wall like it should have been. That's going to cause issues with the trim and the metal threshold may get water under it sitting back like that.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
DIY staff

Install looks good--reveal is even and parallel to the door---the jambs are a bit to big---

See what the maker has to say----some shims behind the hinges would shift the door over--

Playing cards work well-----
Windows on Wash (05-27-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Windows & Remodeling

I have had terrible experiences with that product. It has all of the features of a higher end door, but just poorly assembled IMO. I'd also agree with joe in questioning the quality of the install.... Does it seal? Is that 1/4 reveal consistent from top to bottom? If so and the threshold is level and the jamb side plumb, they probably mortised the hinges too deep. You can shim them out to center the door in the frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Mod

That's what I'm seeing too Mike, it looks like an issue with the door not the install.

Are the hinges flush with the jamb?
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #6

Let me preface this with I am not a carpenter, nor have a construction back ground, just another idiot with a hammer. But I enjoy myself and like sawdust! In the last 4 years I have installed 1 double frence door and two exterior doors.With no issues.

The hinges!! Never thought of that, so I looked and the hinges are fine, not perfectly flush but off less than a 64". I took a pic but not worth posting, it just does not show.

Shimming the hinges would require 1/8" of playing cards, to my way of thinking

I just had a friend over who has a back ground in building maintenance and he said if it was his door he would redo it. 3/4" on each side instead of 2x4 on one side, so I do not have to make custom trim. Also the bottom of the door is barely touching the weather striping.

Yes the 1/4" reveal is consistent top to bottom, does not show well in pictures.

My thought at the moment is to pull the door, lay it down and if the 1/4" is still there, cut the head jamb sill plate, opinions on that?

It's sat on a holiday weekend, I cant get to the manufacturer till tue, after tue I will be assisting the tile guy for the week and really do not want to leave this, in this condition. Of course if you gentleman think that is the best option, that is what I will do.

Thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated JIm
Old 05-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
DIY staff

Resetting the aluminum sill 1/4" over will be a job----are you sure you want to take on the challenge?

If so----post pictures when you have the thing removed----
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #8

I am looking at my door this AM and notice that it is unlikely that it is fastened to code. Not sure what the code is in FL for out swing door. The screws are under the weather stripping, esthetically pleasing, but I will bet a dollar to a donut it is not code! Every door I have seen has about 20 screws and they are on the inside. Maybe that is just for concrete?

OK so my $25 an hour recommended handyman, may not know what he is doing. I know several people he has done work for and not heard a complaint.

Maybe it is the installation? But I do not see anything wrong? I Google and YouTube door installs and no one is screwing the door to the Jack stud? So I loosen the fasteners and pry on the door a bit and damn the gap narrows! I go from a full 1/4" to less than 3/16"

So is a bit more than an 1/8" an acceptable gap on the handset side of the door?

Many thanks for all the help. JIm
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement door installation?-p1010491.jpg   Replacement door installation?-p1010490.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
DIY staff

The install is good--even the hidden screws---the jams are to wide---poor craftsmanship at the factory--we have a local brand called Master Craft----same problem----hell to install because the jams are so loose---

Never a fine looking install, just okay----
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
Lord of Slums

In future pictures take a step back, does us no good to see little cracks. That frame looks to be of poor quality. I would say poor install and poor manufacture. He pinned the door on the hinge side, what else did he do. Problem is most people do not have an eye for detail. Your handyman probably is very popular because people do not understand what he is doing is all wrong. People are so impatient, they get mad when they do not understand what a real carpenter is doing to fix there door. Thus, the 25 dollar an hour handyman is on the scene. I would put my money on you being able to do a better install than your handyman. Pull that door and start over.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote